Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow expats!

Despite having hunted a bit online, we are having some trouble understanding the system of "chomage" in France. My husband (a UK native) worked for over 5 years in France. His place of work has recently closed due to bankruptcy. We are now back in the US (where I am from) for at least a few months. Is there any way he can receive chomage here? Are there interviews/signatures/etc involved in the process that would make it impossible to sign up for unemployment from outside of France? Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance....

·
Administrator
49,155 Posts
The Service Public section on Chomage is here: Chômage - Service-public.fr

Basically, if you are entitled to chomage in France, it's based on your having paid into the system for a certain period of time - and that you are actively looking for work (in France) while collecting chomage.

If you go to another EU country, you are normally able to collect chomage for up to 3 months upon registering with their unemployment office and presenting evidence of your eligibility in France.

But the US does not have any sort of reciprocity with any EU country, so if you're back in the US, you've effectively given up your right to any payments from the French unemployment system.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
661 Posts
I remember reading once, that you have to have your "adresse fiscale" in France in order to claim unemployment benefit.
Most of the process can be done online now, but I would assume that the unemployment services would want to be meeting with your husband at least once in the process.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I've been working in France for 2 years and my CDD is about to come to an end. But since i'm american, I'm not sure if i have the right to apply for chômage in France or not. I have a French social security number which is valid until June 2014, and I'll be coming back to France as a student in September. I am also planning on working while I'm in school. Thoughts?

thanks,
Marty

·
Administrator
49,155 Posts
Go to the Pole Emploi site and read through the information there for "job seekers." Basically, you only get chomage if you have been working for a certain period of time AND are "actively" engaged in looking for work. IIRC, reaching the end of a CDD is adequate grounds for applying to Pole Emploi for benefits, but check what it says on the site to be sure. (I have my own reasons for having been looking around on the site.)

You do, however, have to be resident in France, I believe, so it's not the validity of your sécu number that is the key thing, but rather your residence status. You say you're returning to France in September. If you are leaving France soon, you may be out of luck. But at least check out the requirements on the Pole Emploi website before you go.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just as an aside, anyone who does claim chômage is summoned for an interview at least once a month and failure to attend results in suspension of benefits. You are also obliged to notify them of any absences from your place of residence (even if just a holiday in another part of France).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.