Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ex partner is taking my child abroad on holiday with her new partner of 3/4 months and I have asked to but never met him , I have asked for information regarding the holiday but have been given no reply , is it legal to take my child out of the country under these circumstances

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
My ex partner is taking my child abroad on holiday with her new partner of 3/4 months and I have asked to but never met him , I have asked for information regarding the holiday but have been given no reply , is it legal to take my child out of the country under these circumstances
I believe they need your consent/permission if you are named on their birth certificate. But you could make yourself unpopular if you try to stop the children having a holiday and cause discontent?? So its possibly best to find a more amicable solution

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to know what's what, I asked her to ask for consent and received no reply apart from a smirk , everything I ask to have with the child is dependant on her social callender

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I just want to know what's what, I asked her to ask for consent and received no reply apart from a smirk , everything I ask to have with the child is dependant on her social callender
Well, if you really want to object, then it would have to be done through a solicitor as far as I know. But you can, if you fear that they could abscond or put the child in danger (and you may well need proof of some sort) prevent them from leaving the country.

Having been where you are now, I could lecture you on how any acrimony will simply alienate and upset your situation, but I guess no one could have told me either. 20 years on and I'm glad that my ex and I managed to find some common ground and today, our children are grown, love us both and we all get on.

Do what you have to do, as long as its for concern of the child and not emotional mind games.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
You don't say how old the child is, which would have a bearing, nor do you say exactly what your concerns are. Are you seriously worried that they're going to abscond with the child and not come back? Are you concerned for the child's physical or emotional well-being?
Also, just a thought, but IMHO it's all about meeting half-way and trying to keep the bridges open... maybe if you could get into thinking and talking about "our child" rather than "my child", your partner might also be persuaded to start thinking of the kid as "our child"... ? It sounds a bit like you're both thinking of the kid as "mine" at present. A tug-of-war will only tear the kid in two and nobody really wants that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts