Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI we are hoping to move to Maroochydore next year but are trouble getting my ex husband to give us permission to take our 2 children. I have been living with an Australian in the UK for the last 3 and a half year, he's better with the boys then their father ever has been. We are currently waiting for a court date... Does any one have any advice, information that may help us get through this?:confused: Thanks

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
HI we are hoping to move to Maroochydore next year but are trouble getting my ex husband to give us permission to take our 2 children. I have been living with an Australian in the UK for the last 3 and a half year, he's better with the boys then their father ever has been. We are currently waiting for a court date... Does any one have any advice, information that may help us get through this?:confused: Thanks
I went thru this several years ago when my two daughters were kids and I wanted to move to Spain. I couldnt! Simple, eventho my ex had re-married, hadnt paid maintenance or seen the girls on a regular basis for a couple of years. The court ruled in his favour. There was nothing I could have done. I guess it depends on your agreements when you divorced tho, I had sole custody, but joint care and control!?????

Also to take into account, how would your kids feel about being that far away from him??

Jo xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jo, do you know of anyone that has been succsessful or do you really think that we are wasting our money and time? We have been thinkin about the move for over year and took the boys over so that they could have a look, they are excited even though we have pointed out all of the cons like they wont see their dad much but to be honest they dont really see him much at the mo.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I dont know anyone who's successfully taken their kids to another country with or without their fathers concent and quite honestly, I cant see the courts allowing it, they're into keeping kids in touch with absent parents rightly or wrongly. So my own personal view (and I dont know all the facts) is that you'd be better off saving the grief of a court battle, and try to get your ex to actually agree, Australia is such a long way away tho, so psychologically its a big barrier! And if he's feeling "bloody minded" that wont help either!

Maybe you should speak to a solicitor or CAB??

Jo xxx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similar Situation

Hi,
I am just beginnng my application and i have a child with my Ex husband, who sounds just like yours. I think he will object just for the sake of things.
I have sole custody, he pays no child maintence, but does have regular contact with my daughter.
How are you getting on with your application and the courts?
My partner is at present studying very hard to sit the australian Pharmacy exams in June and I would hate it all to be for nothing (and a very expensive nothing at that)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi,
I am just beginnng my application and i have a child with my Ex husband, who sounds just like yours. I think he will object just for the sake of things.
I have sole custody, he pays no child maintence, but does have regular contact with my daughter.
How are you getting on with your application and the courts?
My partner is at present studying very hard to sit the australian Pharmacy exams in June and I would hate it all to be for nothing (and a very expensive nothing at that)
You really need to get this sorted out before you go any further. If your daughters fathers name is on the birth certificate then he has the right to stop you taking her anywhere

Jo xxx

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
If you haven't done so already have a search through the forum since I know that there have been posts on the forum about this before but I can't remember the outcome (sorry).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts