Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife and I are in the process of trying to move to Cyprus. I currently work out here but my contract ends in 3 weeks.

My wife back in the UK is a registered childminder. She loves her business and would love to continue out here.
Does anyone know where to start looking or even if there is a need for childminders out here?

We are looking at living in Erimi at the moment or surrounding areas, but nothing is set in concrete and we are willing to relocate to suit work/lifestyle.

TIA:)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Dave,

Does your wife speak any languages other than English? It would certainly help if she spoke Greek or even Russian.

That being said, there are tonnes of british folk out here, although fewer families I might add. Nevertheless, try advertising in a few places and see what kind of interest you get.

Taking out an ad in the local papers isn't too expensive - I would suggest the english ones of course. And there are tonnes of websites, but Bazaraki is a popular one.

What I would say is that even if she does find work here, she will not get paid anything close to what she does in the UK, and of course she will need to register as self employed, get a social security number, and she would be responsible for her social security payments every few months. No tax unless you earn over 19,000 euros I think it is.

Zach

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

Does your wife speak any languages other than English? It would certainly help if she spoke Greek or even Russian.

That being said, there are tonnes of british folk out here, although fewer families I might add. Nevertheless, try advertising in a few places and see what kind of interest you get.

Taking out an ad in the local papers isn't too expensive - I would suggest the english ones of course. And there are tonnes of websites, but Bazaraki is a popular one.

What I would say is that even if she does find work here, she will not get paid anything close to what she does in the UK, and of course she will need to register as self employed, get a social security number, and she would be responsible for her social security payments every few months. No tax unless you earn over 19,000 euros I think it is.

Zach
Hi Zach,

Thank you for that info :)

We realise that income is no-where near the same as the UK, but its more about the quality than anything else for us. Our 2 young boys loved it when they came out for a few weeks recently. We as a family got on better as we spent more time outside.

I saw a post of yours this morning but it had been closed. You were looking for employees? I take it that you've found who you were after?

I only ask as I'm trying to find work once this contract has ended.

Thanks again,

Dave :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Zack,

Well unfortunately, I'm not that clever to understand web design, lol.

Thanks for the heads up though!!

Kind regards,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
I didn't think that asking where to advertise for staff would be considered advertising itself! :D Noted :)
No that is not actually forbidden but unfortunately it led to another member touting for your business.:)
actually it wasn't me that closed it. Not sure who did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts