Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Expatforumers :)

Me, my husband and my daughter (who born outside the UK) arrived to UK in 2011 as refugees and now in 2017 we all had our ILR.

Regarding my daughter's citizenship, please clarify which of these is the correct one :confused:

does my daughter (who is 6 year old now) eligible to be registered as a child under 18 as British citizen via MN1 form section 3 (1) as the parents have indefinite leave to remain??

Or does she has to wait for 12 months (like us) from the date of ILR to apply to naturalisation via AN form ??

Appreciated your assistance in advance

Thank you

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Naturalisation is only for adults aged 18 or over.
Your daughter can be registered as British under Section 3(1) if either or both parents are applying for citizenship. If only one parent is applying, the other parent must hold ILR. Registration is at the discretion of Home Secretary. So make a joint application when applying for naturalisation. While in theory you can apply for her discretionary registration before your naturalisation, her application may not be approved, so it's best to wait, as you'll have a much better chance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Naturalisation is only for adults aged 18 or over.
Your daughter can be registered as British under Section 3(1) if either or both parents are applying for citizenship. If only one parent is applying, the other parent must hold ILR. Registration is at the discretion of Home Secretary. So make a joint application when applying for naturalisation. While in theory you can apply for her discretionary registration before your naturalisation, her application may not be approved, so it's best to wait, as you'll have a much better chance.
Thank you Joppa for your clarification, just to make things crystal clear; do you mean that after 12 months I have to apply as the following:

2 x AN forms (one for me and one for my husband)

1 x MN1 form for my daughter

thats the best we can do to have much better chance!! right? please correct me if Im wrong

thanks in advance

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, three separate applications sent together and a lot of money. I suggest you use nationality checking service (most local councils offer it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.