Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently had a successful premium appointment for my wife's FLRM visa.

We just received the BRP and on the remarks all it states is "Permitted to work"

On her initial spouse visa under remarks it stated "No recourse to public funds"

We do claim child benefit but we under my name as the British spouse.

Could we now get it changed to her name?
My wife is currently not working as she is looking after our baby son full time, but it would be good to change the child benefit to her name so she doesn't lose out on National Insurance credits.

Can we do this? Or does the no recourse to public funds still apply to FLRM as well.
I always thought it did and we would have to wait 5 years before we could do it, but seeing it not stated on the BRP has made me wonder if I am wrong.

Can anyone clarify this?

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Until she gets settlement (ILR) after 5 years in UK, she is still subject to no recourse to public funds and cannot apply for child benefit in her name. You need to find out about her eligibility for NI credit.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Could we now get it changed to her name?
My wife is currently not working as she is looking after our baby son full time, but it would be good to change the child benefit to her name so she doesn't lose out on National Insurance credits.
You can also consider paying voluntary National Insurance contributions for your wife in order to fill in the gaps in her records. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/pay-voluntary-class-3-national-insurance/overview

·
Registered
63 Posts
My wife's as a British citizen claims child tax credit and child benefit and my names on it too I don't know if that helps at all

Also

Are you making a post of the documents you used for the FLR?

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
It's the one who receives the money who gets NI credit, and as someone subject to immigration control, you can't.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi

I have a couple of queries regarding child benefit claim form:

I am completing the form on PDF to print, sign, and post.

There are two questions which are slightly confusing:

Question 1: Tell us your partner's employment status: (tick the box or boxes that apply)

- Looking for work in the UK
- Employed in the UK
- Self-Employed in the UK
- None of these - they have enough money to support their family in the UK

Question 2: Please tell us your partner's employment status:

- My partner is looking for work in the UK
- My partner is working in the UK
- My partner is self-employed in the UK
- My partner is a student in the UK
- None of the above

i am british and my partner has limited leave to remain on UK Spouse Visa - she is a housewife and does not work nor is she looking for work.

Both questions are similar and must be completed. Question 2 is ok as i would tick 'none of the above'. However, question 1 i am not sure as that last option '- None of these - they have enough money to support their family in the UK' is confusing.

I would appreciate if someone in the same situation as me have completed these and have been successfull. Or if anyone can advise the suitable option.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Tick 'None of these - they have enough money to support their family in the UK'.
The reason being that someone subject to immigration control can't be reliant on public funds, and if they don't need to work, it means there is enough household income to maintain their living standard in UK.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Joppa. One more question, can I give mine and my wife's joint bank account details for the child benefit to be paid in - or should i give my sole bank account details -

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.