Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our son is boarding in the UK and as many parents do, I like sending him some treats. I usually order directly from a UK based company and have the goods delivered to the school.
But today i wanted to send him some chocolate he loves directly from here in order for him to receive something from home. I was shocked to find out La Poste was asking me 5.50€ to sent a single small 125g tablette de chocolat! Even if it is expensive chocolate, it didn't cost me that much.
I am now looking for a cheaper way to send the chocolate (before I decide to eat it) especially as I am planning a quick trip to Italy soon and I'd love to send over a sample his favorite Italian biscuits.
I have done my research comparing La Poste and Mondial Relay, if anyone has experience or made research on sending small parcels to the UK, I'd love to hear what you think is the cheapest way.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Last month, I returned an ebay purchase to the UK and looked for the cheapest option. There was 'monkey' something that was cheap but La Poste was cheaper as you saved on VAT if you dropped it off at the post office but booked it online. It's expensive in France to ship anything out of country, I've found.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The person at La Poste told me that if you can make your package less than 3 cm thick, you can send anything by letter rate. I have done this with sending things to the States.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The person at La Poste told me that if you can make your package less than 3 cm thick, you can send anything by letter rate. I have done this with sending things to the States.
Unfortunately, the 5,5€ is the letter rate and I used the machine.
Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry, I guess you better eat it then. LaPoste have really increased their rates lately. I used to send all my Christmas gifts by post, but now that the post makes me send it the most expensive way, I don't send gifts anymore. Sad.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sorry, I guess you better eat it then. LaPoste have really increased their rates lately. I used to send all my Christmas gifts by post, but now that the post makes me send it the most expensive way, I don't send gifts anymore. Sad.
Same with me. I only now send stuff to the US IF it is something I absolutely cannot buy online and ship (preferrably a US site) or if I make it myself. It used to be I could send a box at half the price of colissimo, now they ONLY send colissimo and the starting price is around 26€. I'm going to the post soon to send a Christmas present for my granddaughter, every year I usually buy online in the states but this year I made her stuff so I have no choice although I hate the amount of money I have to spend on shipping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts