Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheaper living area in South of France and ship or not to ship furniture

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bevdeforges 
#1 ·
Hello Expat Family,

Over the last few months i have been preparing myself and my 19 month old daughter to relocate to france from london.

As i plan to start a new life there and feeling so excited, im still trying to narrow down a town in the Langua doc area that would have cheaper houses for rent.

So far i have looked at Montpellier, as much beautiful, prices are still out of my comfort zone, Nimes, i have seen a definate difference in price especially the sizes apartment they as well as gorgeous, but now i have come across Sete, living near the water is the ideal solution, can anyone else know of any where else that i can add to my options, near the water, cheaper cost of living, community, culture and best of all sun..

Also, the thought of starting a new life brings me to another dilemma i have about moving,,,i dont tend to see a lot of furnished apartments for rent. Im not sure if i should go for unfurnished and literally START OVER or ship a few essential bits along ...how expensive does this get??
If anyone could help me out that would be awesome.

So excited about moving, just counting down the months now.

this is all i can think about a new life with my daughter is what i have waited for and finally ready to give up the hustle and bustle of london and start a - new else where...

thanks so much in advance -

See less See more
#2 ·
The reality here is that furnished accommodation in France falls under the same laws and rule structure as hotels and guest houses, so it tends to be offered mainly for short stays (measured in terms of weeks, not months).

Unfurnished accommodation is normally rented under a 3 year lease (with the ability to terminate early provided you give the required notice). The down side of that is "proving" your credit-worthiness to the landlord when you're new in town, because most will require 3 months worth of pay slips, showing that the rent is not more than about 30% of what you're making.
Cheers,
Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.