Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My daughter has a replacement bumper awaiting her in the UK. The problem is that she and her car are in Clermont-Ferrand.

Courier quotes are in the order of 300 quid/euros.

The package is 185 x 75 x 56 cm but weighs only 5.8 Kg. It's too big to go as excess baggage on a flight. Any other ideas anybody ?
Please ?

Ta
Hilary

G

·
Might be able to help... the reason this costs is because you are being priced for this item to be collected somewhere in the UK, brought to a depot somewhere else in the UK, shipped to a hub in France somewhere eg Paris or Lyon, and then redelivered. Two lots of handling costs, three different vehicles involved.

Where is the bumper in the UK?

And courrier prices for express jobs will always be expensive. It may be the cost quoted for a small express van with limited space as opposed to an artic, in which case even if it is a straight run from A to B you are being charged for the urgency.

G

·
Go to an international groupage operator. As long as you are willing to take to a depot and collect from a depot you may find your cost will be less than £50 - £60 depot / depot

Try transmec - Phil Thomas HERE
Yep, was waiting to hear what the urgency was, and whether it would be possible (to deliver to/collect from hub)... but that was going to be my suggestion. You won't find anyone going to a hub in Clermont Ferrand though - more likely the best option would be Lyon. I know plenty of operators going into Lyon.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.
There is no urgency at all; she's been driving around with a crunched bumper for a while already and it's not dangerous so shouldn't incur any kind of fine.

For info the thing is currently in Hull but it could be collected and delivered pretty much to anywhere down that side of the UK.

Lyon wouldn't be too grim; will be there on Friday next week & following Monday, and sprog will be there later that week.

I've got a trip to check out our new properties in Corsica (yes, more than one)- result finally - yay :)

Sprog is flying into Scotland for a few days to collect her Xmas goodies from the grand-pah!-folks.

Will try your suggestions.

Hilary

G

·
Thanks everyone.
There is no urgency at all; she's been driving around with a crunched bumper for a while already and it's not dangerous so shouldn't incur any kind of fine.

For info the thing is currently in Hull but it could be collected and delivered pretty much to anywhere down that side of the UK.

Lyon wouldn't be too grim; will be there on Friday next week & following Monday, and sprog will be there later that week.

I've got a trip to check out our new properties in Corsica (yes, more than one)- result finally - yay :)

Sprog is flying into Scotland for a few days to collect her Xmas goodies from the grand-pah!-folks.

Will try your suggestions.

Hilary
If you don't find any immediate solutions, call Chris on 01543 481848 from Monday morning, say Peter Garwood suggested you call (it's my company)... she has artics going from all over the UK to France (mainly Lyon Grenoble area) with full loads and it's the sort of thing that can be added to a load quite easily. We are based in Staffs (Lichfield) but can sometimes collect on trailer from elsewhere if convenient.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't find any immediate solutions, call Chris on 01543 481848 from Monday morning, say Peter Garwood suggested you call (it's my company)... she has artics going from all over the UK to France (mainly Lyon Grenoble area) with full loads and it's the sort of thing that can be added to a load quite easily. We are based in Staffs (Lichfield) but can sometimes collect on trailer from elsewhere if convenient.
Thanks muchly :)

·
Registered
5,690 Posts

Blatent advertising :D:D

Whats your companies name? Mine was based in the Midlands, firstly Minworth and then later in Redditch. Used to know Twenty Express up there and Cargosped as well as Winlen

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry - don't have a company now - or yet. This request is on a personal basis - well, on behalf of my daughter.
Used to run a worldwide engineering company (small fry however) & a computer training company.
About to set up our "Corseofcourse" site for optimising return on present investment in Corsica.

Hilary

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blatent advertising :D:D

Whats your companies name? Mine was based in the Midlands, firstly Minworth and then later in Redditch. Used to know Twenty Express up there and Cargosped as well as Winlen
btw; our erstwhile family "seat" (more a kind of gazunder than a seat tho') was in Redditch - Whitford, the name.

G

·
Strav... the company is called Euroleader, in Shenstone. Set it up in 1990. Before that I was based daaan sowff. Cargosped? Used to have a really good contact there, Paul James. Had worked with him since the late 70s when he was at Winlen Bay. Then Cargosped went under...

Hils, Strav was joking about my 'advertising', not you!

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Strav... the company is called Euroleader, in Shenstone. Set it up in 1990. Before that I was based daaan sowff. Cargosped? Used to have a really good contact there, Paul James. Had worked with him since the late 70s when he was at Winlen Bay. Then Cargosped went under...

Hils, Strav was joking about my 'advertising', not you!
Yes, remember them all and I knew Paul well. Herr Winkler at Winlen!!! :)

I owned Freightcheck International, but got out in 2000, and since it changed hands about 3 times under different names as well as falling fowl of the demise of the middle sized freight forwarder :D

PS: Sorry for going off topic to the OP

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
's ok; clocked it after I'd posted message

·
Registered
2 Posts
You've probably solved this by now, but if not I saw a site the other day called shiply (dot com) Basically you say what you want delivered and people bid to get the job! Looks a good idea and they seem to use it for France as well as just UK wide. You don't pay to list your item, I assume you pay something if you use a bidder. The bidders place a bid and others underbid them. You accept the one you want.

Poppy

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You've probably solved this by now, but if not I saw a site the other day called shiply (dot com) Basically you say what you want delivered and people bid to get the job! Looks a good idea and they seem to use it for France as well as just UK wide. You don't pay to list your item, I assume you pay something if you use a bidder. The bidders place a bid and others underbid them. You accept the one you want.

Poppy
Thanks.
Wil keep this in reserve as Pete's contact (company) seems able to do something potentially useful.

Hils

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.