Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be coming to London from Australia for a week. Would anyone know some reasonably priced places to live? What areas we should be avoiding, what areas we should be looking into? What means of transport would be ideal for us for getting from A to B. Any other spending or financial advise will be really appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would look on sites like Booking.com, etc., where you can set your budget and get an idea for what is available.

If you are not that much into luxury and want to spend your money on your day's activities instead of on the hotel, cheap business hotels such as Travelodge have a national franchise's standard of consistency and are clean and tidy nad often used by travelling business / sales people: https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz...87!3d51.49500370192991!3m2!1i946!2i503!4f13.1

Otherwise, there are budget hotels such as Ibis too: Cheap Hotels in London | ibis Hotels

Again, you'll likely find the best deals on Trivago.com, Booking.com, Expedia.com, etc.

For travelling from A to B, use London Transport. There is an extensive [perhaps the world's best] bus network, underground lines, railway lines, all usable with a pre-paid Oyster touch-card or you can use a contactless bank card [Visa, etc.] that automatically gets capped on a maximum daily rate for an all-you-can-use buffet to get you anywhere in metropolitan London.

With the nature of your questions, I'd really recommend doing some research on the internet as London is one of the world's most cosmopolitan cities and it would be a pity to travel so far out and only to later found out you missed out on things that you would have wanted to experience !

Also guessing from your name, there is an extensive network of Halal eateries as well: https://www.zomato.com/london/restaurants?halal=1

I found that London is generally cheaper to eat out in, etc., as a tourist than MEL or SYD.

Oh, and foreign exchange shops here are a rip-off. It might be cheaper to bring £'s with you if you get a better rate back home but you'll have to google / research that. I normally find that my Visa ATM gives me a better rate than the foreign exchange shops and I also don't have to carry cash internationally.

Enjoy your trip !

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for such a detailed and helpful response mate. I really appreciate it. I will be keeping all these points in my mind before I travel. Thanks once again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.