Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charity?

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  BedouGirl 
#1 ·
I have been thinking - we have loads of threads about meet-ups and getting together socially but how about doing something as a group for charity? Something like the filling of shoe boxes for labourers which is easily doable and doesn't cost a fortune. I would be happy to organise but am traveling for work for most of March, but then that would give people time to organise themselves. If we could arrange a drop off for the boxes and then the transport to take them to one of the camps in Sonapur perhaps? What does everyone think?

#4 ·
Bedougirl, I don't mind helping you out with this. I'm traveling this week but will be back next and can put up a thread and follow up.

Let's do a dinner in a few weeks time where each person attending will need to bring with him/her something to donate to charity. That way, it'll be easy for us to collect everything as well.

Hopefully there'll be a good turn out. :) More to come next week.

#5 ·
Suggestions what people should donate? If going to a camp with three hundred to a thousand people, one items isn't going to cut it. Good cause but something of this magnitude takes a bit of work. Maybe we can do charity bbq where all profits go to one of the organizations that are doing this, and maybe check with volunteering with these organizations?

#6 ·
Thank you ladies . I have just got back from Kuwait and am off to KL for work for three weeks on Sunday. I was thinking the shoebox charity fund http://www.facebook.com/TheBoxAppeal.

Pamela, the idea of us all getting together and bringing everything along is excellent - as is Jynx's idea of a charity BBQ. If you are okay with it, I can PM you with my email id and we can begin to make a plan? I really hope some of the other regulars will get on board with this. It won't cost a fortune and it would also be a meet-up but for a cause.

#7 ·
BedouGirl said:
Thank you ladies . I have just got back from Kuwait and am off to KL for work for three weeks on Sunday. I was thinking the shoebox charity fund http://www.facebook.com/TheBoxAppeal.

Pamela, the idea of us all getting together and bringing everything along is excellent - as is Jynx's idea of a charity BBQ. If you are okay with it, I can PM you with my email id and we can begin to make a plan? I really hope some of the other regulars will get on board with this. It won't cost a fortune and it would also be a meet-up but for a cause.
The shoebox appeal is a very good charity, I'm definately up for being involved in this and what a fantastic idea BedouGirl :)

#18 ·
Hello Guys....
I would like to help out in this.. particularly an idea I had when and I saw a documentary recently about a guy in Africa who collects toiletries from people who travel a lot ...you know the hotel freebie stuff..razors...shampoo..conditioner...soaps in plastic covering..moisturising lotion... toothpaste and toothbrushes....etc...
might I suggest any frequent travellers try to bring a couple of these items back when you stay somewhere...put them in a bag...I will arrange to pick them up periodically ...then make a trip every so often out to the camps...
I will of course assist in any way I can with any other suggestions...

#11 ·
Hi Pamela, I leave tomorrow and get back on 31st. The first two weekends of April are busy for me too, but I will be checking the forum from time to time. I appreciate your support and really hope we can rally the troops. Come on everyone - this is something that's so easy, join us to do something for others who are less fortunate than we are!

#19 ·
pamela0810 said:
School night literally is school night for me because of the little 'un :)

Bedougirl, I could do Thursday night if you're available?
Hi Pam, I can't do this Thursday but I can do the following one - 26th April. Sad to say, a school night is an early night for me too but I don't have the excuse of a wee 'un .

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.