Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Charges for rubbish collection?

902 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  canoeman 
#1 ·
When looking online for answers to how to get our first IMI bill, I also saw mentioned somewhere that there is a separate charge for rubbish collection, not included in IMI, and paid twice a year.

When we bought our property in February, we asked the lawyer, the agent, and neighbours about all the charges and expenses we were required to pay, but nobody mentioned a charge for rubbish collection. Perhaps it depends where in Portugal you are? Almost all online sites talk about the Algarve, and there is a lot of misinformation out there, too!

Indeed, I got the best answers about IMI on this forum, from Canoeman, so perhaps someone can help me here? Is there a separate charge for rubbish disposal? If so, how and where do you pay it? Thank you, Linda.

#3 ·
Thank you, the Hog! We're not on mains water or sewage, we have a borehole for water and a septic tank, and were told that apart from paying for periodic water analysis and septic tank emptying if we choose to, there are no charges for water or sewage.

In our tiny village, nobody has mains water or sewage. There is one large rubbish bin in the village, nearest recycling point is in a small town 7kms away. We do recycle, and we use a compost bin, so we rarely have much rubbish to dump. But we don't want to run foul of any requirement to pay for rubbish collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.