Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone- I am an American student in France, legally here on a second year student visa and titre de sejour. I married a french citizen last month. My current student titre de sejour does not expire until August 2014. I am not registered for school this year as we had to move quickly due to a change in my partners job. My issue is this: I have no health insurance as a student as I did not complete all the required paperwork last year. I also cannot get any health insurance as a student since I am not attending school this year. I think that in order to get any insurance, I will need to change my titre de sejour to a spouse one instead of a student. However, the prefuncture here said that in order to do that, I must go back to the U.S. I cannot do that at this point and really need insurance as I'm pregnant. Is there any way to change the status of a titre de sejour without having to return to the US? Or any sort of emergency health insurance that would cover doctors visits until I could return? Is a change in titre de sejour status the same as a change in visa status? Thanks so much Bev and anyone else for any help!

·
Administrator
49,988 Posts
Officially, you can only change your status from a long-stay visa to that of spouse - and that only when your current long-stay titre de séjour expires.

I'm not aware of any private insurance that doesn't have some sort of a waiting period for maternity coverage, but you may want to check with an insurance broker (such as the broker that handles the AARO insurance - AARO and check the ad in the lower right corner of the page. I understand they have been of help to some Americans who need a policy and can't make use of the AARO cover. But a policy that will cover maternity care is going to be expensive. Going back to the US to get a new visa may actually be the cheaper route.

If you do have to return to the US, as long as you have your livret de famille, the granting of the spouse visa is the closest thing they have to automatic and should only take a week or two.

One suggestion is to book your appointment at the consulate in the US online and then plan your travel around the date you get. It can take a while to get an appointment, but you should be able to make due with a two week "visit" back home. On your return, you'll have the OFII drill to go through, but that should be manageable.

Worst possible scenario is that you would have to pay for your doctor visits until your husband can get you onto his sécu as an ayant droit - but save up all the feuilles de soins and you will most likely be fully reimbursed.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.