Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Friends,
This is my first post on this forum. Scenario is as follow:

Some time ago, i completed my initial skills assessment from ACS and got the letter but due to some reasons i was not able to further process my application, now currently i want to start my immigration process again, but i want to change my occupation , so is it possible to do the skills assessment again by mentioning a new occupation, that better match my experience? will it affect my overall application process? Please guide :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi devil786,

sure, no problem - most applicants don't have a clear-cut work profile and would fit into more than one occupation code. As written on the ACS homepage:

Please Note: that you can only have one (1) application open at any one time.
If you would like to be assessed under more than one (1) ANZSCO code or you would like add extra documentation, you will be able to lodge a “Review Application” after you receive your result letter.
Depending on how long ago you got your initial assessment, you may have to lodge a new application (if lodged before 1st of July 2010). Note that they have your old application on file, so you cannot just submit completely different reference letters for the same companies. But if your tasks/responsibilities spanned multiple areas (e.g. software development and testing) and both occupied about an equal degree of your time (20+hrs/week), then sure, get reassessed.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi devil786,

sure, no problem - most applicants don't have a clear-cut work profile and would fit into more than one occupation code. As written on the ACS homepage:

Depending on how long ago you got your initial assessment, you may have to lodge a new application (if lodged before 1st of July 2010). Note that they have your old application on file, so you cannot just submit completely different reference letters for the same companies. But if your tasks/responsibilities spanned multiple areas (e.g. software development and testing) and both occupied about an equal degree of your time (20+hrs/week), then sure, get reassessed.

All the best,
Monika
Hello Monika,

Does it really matter if they have old record on file ? Is it documented at any official site ?

Thank,
Talha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Monika,
first of all thanks for the prompt response, FYI My initial assement was done 1 year ago, It means i that can not mention completeley different occupation under inital assessment? is there any way to do this?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Talha_ and devil786,

what ANZSCO code switch were you thinking about? I'd recommend to keep most of the things from your last reference letter and maybe add additional tasks/responsibilities. Some job codes like Software Engineer are very inclusive and cover analysis, design, coding, testing and integration, so that could be argued comprehensively.

Don't forget that your education also has to be highly relevant to the nominated ANZSCO code or you will need more work experience to qualify. See: Summary of Criteria.

Good luck,
Monika

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Talha_ and devil786,

what ANZSCO code switch were you thinking about? I'd recommend to keep most of the things from your last reference letter and maybe add additional tasks/responsibilities. Some job codes like Software Engineer are very inclusive and cover analysis, design, coding, testing and integration, so that could be argued comprehensively.

Don't forget that your education also has to be highly relevant to the nominated ANZSCO code or you will need more work experience to qualify. See: Summary of Criteria.

Good luck,
Monika
I am thinking to switch from 261314 to 261313. my education supports both these job codes. Could u please share key factors which u included in your letters, perhaps a snippets would be great. By the way, I have worked for more than one company under the same job roles, so what do you think changing 3 reference letters content would impact in any way ?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Talha_,

I never got re-assessed in a second ANZSCO code - sorry if you got that impression.

However, I successfully got assessed as "Software Engineer" although I worked as a researcher/lecturer at university (albeit in the Department of Software Engineering). About half of my work load was lecturing, teaching assistance, writing papers etc. I had two reference letters, one from the dean of my school (for my teaching activities) and one from my research supervisor (for my software development activities). In my reference letters I put more emphasis on the development aspects but I also mentioned my other duties. Why? I thought if ACS gave me a negative assessment I would have to re-appply as "University lecturer/tutor" and I did not want to have any problems if they ever compared applications.

Did you mention that you also worked as developer besides the testing in the old letters at all? What was your job designation? Were you hired as a tester or developer? Both occupations are in the same unit group (GROUP 2613), so you may have an easier time of it. Testing is part of the work of a software developer and if you did lots of automated testing and actually wrote unit tests yourself that may fit. Note that you will also have to document that you performed other tasks such as analysis/design/integration which are part of the software development process.

On possible strategy: You need 20+ hours per week for the employment to be counted. So you could only change 1-2 of the reference letters for the 3 jobs you had at the same time. As a natural career progression, many people start as (manual) testers and gradually switch to development jobs. If you can credibly document that progression, you may "loose" a year at the beginning of your career but ACS may accept that your tasks/responsibilities shifted more towards developer.

You could also consider a 190 visa application - some states still sponsor software testers!

Good luck,
Monika

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am thinking to switch from 261314 to 261313. my education supports both these job codes. Could u please share key factors which u included in your letters, perhaps a snippets would be great. By the way, I have worked for more than one company under the same job roles, so what do you think changing 3 reference letters content would impact in any way ?
yes u can as we did from system analyst to analyst programmer we added all the niit certificates in pragramming and experience letter stating programming
u can make that very easy as u are changing occupation in same 2613 group so just check acs description page and request for review

i may be wrong but we got postive assessment like that

·
Registered
106 Posts
yes u can as we did from system analyst to analyst programmer we added all the niit certificates in pragramming and experience letter stating programming
u can make that very easy as u are changing occupation in same 2613 group so just check acs description page and request for review

i may be wrong but we got postive assessment like that
I am not sure if review is an option left for me as 60 days has already elapsed. What do you suggest now ?

·
Registered
385 Posts
then apply for new application add doc that under software tester.....u can get it as ur 261314 is mostly related 261314
cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dear All thanks for your replies, under new initial skills assessment can i change my occupation from Software Engineer (261313) to Computer Network and Systems Engineer (263111) as my job responsibilities include both full time, i.e. writing code and also managing and maintaining servers.

For information first time i did initial assessment only for software engineering and the reference letter was also about software engineering only.

if there is any possibility, please guide.:confused2:

·
Registered
385 Posts
for that profession u need to show more work experience i guess.........u should be in manager position am not sure.........u ask in nsw state sponsorship in progress post some was elaboraing abt this 263111 or ask some one who got assesment under 263 group

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Talha_,

I never got re-assessed in a second ANZSCO code - sorry if you got that impression.

However, I successfully got assessed as "Software Engineer" although I worked as a researcher/lecturer at university (albeit in the Department of Software Engineering). About half of my work load was lecturing, teaching assistance, writing papers etc. I had two reference letters, one from the dean of my school (for my teaching activities) and one from my research supervisor (for my software development activities). In my reference letters I put more emphasis on the development aspects but I also mentioned my other duties. Why? I thought if ACS gave me a negative assessment I would have to re-appply as "University lecturer/tutor" and I did not want to have any problems if they ever compared applications.

Did you mention that you also worked as developer besides the testing in the old letters at all? What was your job designation? Were you hired as a tester or developer? Both occupations are in the same unit group (GROUP 2613), so you may have an easier time of it. Testing is part of the work of a software developer and if you did lots of automated testing and actually wrote unit tests yourself that may fit. Note that you will also have to document that you performed other tasks such as analysis/design/integration which are part of the software development process.

On possible strategy: You need 20+ hours per week for the employment to be counted. So you could only change 1-2 of the reference letters for the 3 jobs you had at the same time. As a natural career progression, many people start as (manual) testers and gradually switch to development jobs. If you can credibly document that progression, you may "loose" a year at the beginning of your career but ACS may accept that your tasks/responsibilities shifted more towards developer.

You could also consider a 190 visa application - some states still sponsor software testers!

Good luck,
Monika
My designations were senior software quality assurance engg. And software test engg. I was hired as a tester and did write automated test scripts and that is mentioned in my letters along with the platforms used for writing automated test scripts. Scripting, technical documentation and analysis covered a good part at the first job and it was heavily used at the second and third jobs.
Could you please paste the snippets if your ref letters here if u could, atleast the work load distribution part, that will ne really great.

Thanks a lot,
Talha

·
Registered
106 Posts
Monika,
Although automated testing and scripting is mentioned in my letters but not with strong emphasis. Therefore, I think they needs to be re written highlighting these and including workload breakup ... What's your opinion ?

Thanks,
Talha

·
Registered
385 Posts
Add new document with the existing experience or reference letters or get a fresh set pertaining to new job code ?
u can use ur same reference letter also but make sure u have met the the criteria for 261314 as stated in the acs assessment webpage

·
Registered
106 Posts
u can use ur same reference letter also but make sure u have met the the criteria for 261314 as stated in the acs assessment webpage
I already have positive acs for 261314, I am discussing the option of 261313 as it won't require state nomination dependence unlike 261314.
Your thoughts ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts