Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm writing this for a mexican citizen living in the united states. She recently got married to a US citizen and is now in the process of getting citizenship - but we all know how long that can take. She had a baby 3 months ago and is just now working on getting her US drivers license. She wants to have her married name on it to make traveling with her daughter easier. But when I went to the DMV with her they told me she has to have some sort of legal form of ID in order to get her new last name on the drivers license.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there a way to get around it other than changing her name in Mexico and getting a new passport?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
The information you provided does not allow for even a guess.

Getting married does not mean you can apply for citizenship. What is her actual legal status?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apologies! This is my first time posting, and my first time dealing with anything of this nature.

She submitted her application for citizenship about 3 weeks ago, so it's still being processed. Her immigration lawyer believes she can get her application approved, but we have no idea when.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Apologies! This is my first time posting, and my first time dealing with anything of this nature.

She submitted her application for citizenship about 3 weeks ago, so it's still being processed. Her immigration lawyer believes she can get her application approved, but we have no idea when.
This does not answer my question so let's work with what you have. The easiest and least expensive way to change her name is at her swearing in.

Depending on her current legal status she can use her marriage certificate to change her name on gvt documents and her driver's license.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I know she can change her name at the swearing in.

I guess that answers my question though. No - there is not a way for her to get a drivers license in her new last name in the United States before she becomes a citizen.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
985 Posts
If she's applying for citizenship....I'm assuming she's a green card holder.
Green card counts as legal ID. I had to take my GC with my SS card to get my DL, as well as doing a US driving test.
Presumably, they'll accept a marriage certificate as proof of name change??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts