Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I am working in Paris as a salariee with a CDI. My titre de sejour goes with my contract and I can't be in this country legally without it. That said, I am thinking about changing jobs/companies, but my titre de sejour has not yet expired and won't for a while. How would I go about getting a new titre de sejour with my new work contract? It would be the same kind of titre de sejour (salarie) but with a different contract.

For instance, would I have to wait until my old titre de sejour expires (therefore waiting at my old job) and then when I renew, show a new contract? Are there extra procedures for this (I have to face the DDTEFP again??, get my contract vise)?

Or, do I actually have to redo the entire process I did with my first company and get a completely new titre de sejour that goes with my new contract (and therefore have to reenter the States and pay another visa fee...)?

If any of you know the details, it would be great!

·
Administrator
51,624 Posts
The way I understand it, you would have to get your new potential employer to sponsor you for the job on what amounts to a new visa. Technically, that means you'd have to go back home to re-apply for a work visa, though I have heard of some companies that can pull strings or have contacts or whatever to process the necessary paperwork all within France.

In general, however, it's all up to your potential new employer and whether or not they can justify hiring a foreigner in the position.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way I understand it, you would have to get your new potential employer to sponsor you for the job on what amounts to a new visa. Technically, that means you'd have to go back home to re-apply for a work visa, though I have heard of some companies that can pull strings or have contacts or whatever to process the necessary paperwork all within France.

In general, however, it's all up to your potential new employer and whether or not they can justify hiring a foreigner in the position.
Cheers,
Bev

Hi Bev,

Thanks for the response. The employer has no problem sponsoring me nor justifying hiring me (doing the whole 4 weeks post on ANPE and finding no other qualified French worker or European Union worker), so that shouldn't be the issue. It seems like I'll have to get a new visa and return to the states. But I'm not a fan of that process - as many people can probably support.

I don't think this company is the kind which can "pull strings" to get my brand new visa from France (I'm pretty sure they legally can't) because I've tried to do that once and the DDTEFP refused my papers twice. They tell you to go to the Prefecture anyway because you have an active titre de sejour. Which still brings me to the question, if I go to the Prefecture with a new work contract, but my old titre de sejour is not expired yet, will they let me renew "early" with a new contract? I don't think this option is impossible because it would be ridiculous if every time you changed jobs you had to reapply for a brand new visa when you already have an active titre de sejour....or maybe I'm giving the French administration too much credit...

Has anyone changed jobs with an active titre de sejour?

·
Administrator
51,624 Posts
Again, technically, you're locked into the employer what brought you here for the first few years. After you've been in France legally for 5 years, they are supposed to give you a carte de residente - which is good for 10 years and gives you full working privileges.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.