Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have my ACS under software tester code 261314 and is valid till July 2014. Now i want to reevaluate my ACS and want to change the category from Software tester to Software Engg so that i can come under 189 SOL list. My question is that it is advisable to change the ACS category. Whether ACS council will check that previously i am a software tester and now changing my category ?

Regards

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi niks,

many applicants have somewhat inter-disciplinary work experience so it is perfectly acceptable to get re-assessed in a different ANZSCO code. ACS even states on its homepage:

Please Note: that you can only have one (1) application open at any one time.
If you would like to be assessed under more than one (1) ANZSCO code or you would like add extra documentation, you will be able to lodge a “Review Application” after you receive your result letter.
That said, they have your old application on file and can cross-check, so if you plan to send in new reference letters with completely different tasks/responsibilities that will be a problem. In my opinion the best strategy is to be transparent and lodge a "review" rather than a new application. Maybe get your referee/supervisor to break down how much of your time was spent on testing and how much on development etc.

I had a similar situation because I worked as a researcher/lecturer at university and wanted to get assessed as "Software Engineer". So I mentioned the subjects that I taught in each year and the projects I worked on an asked my supervisors to write that at least 20hrs/week were spent exclusively on R&D. That was fine with ACS - they understand that many people may have additional duties in their job, sometimes even including marketing or sales if the company is small.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot Monika. Few more queries to be get cleared it will be great if u can answer them .
1.Should i have to submit all the documents that i have submitted earlier or is that i have to submit the documents mentioning my roles and responsibilities plus my old ACS approval pdf
2. I want to change the ACS code from Software tester 261314 to Software engg. The problem is that under software tester i can go with state sponsorship only not federal one. So will it work.... Software engg has similar roles and responsibilities
3. What are chances of getting a positive feedback from ACS. Does it happen that they reject the ACS or not approve the Change category.
4. What will happen if my ACS got rejected. Will i be able to resubmit it or it will be dead end for me

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi niks,

1.) You don't have to send in your old ACS result letter or any of the old documents. You can reference your old assessment, though. They can look up everything in the system, if they want.
2.) Whether it will work depends on how well you "present" your case ;). But yeah, a progression from tester to developer or certain overlap of duties happens quite frequently.
3.) Sure, but they will usually suggest to change the code to something more suitable if there is a clear alternative. You could end up with an updated reference letter that says "Software Tester" again. It's up to the assessor.
4.) You can request a review or appeal if you don't agree with the assessment. That will cost money, though, which will be refunded if the senior assessor agrees that your complaint was justified.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have my ACS under software tester code 261314 and is valid till July 2014. Now i want to reevaluate my ACS and want to change the category from Software tester to Software Engg so that i can come under 189 SOL list. My question is that it is advisable to change the ACS category. Whether ACS council will check that previously i am a software tester and now changing my category ?

Regards
Hi Niks,

I'm in same situation. (Now i want to reevaluate my ACS and want to change the category from Software tester to Software Engg so that i can come under 189 SOL list)

It will be of great help if you can suggest me how to modify the roles and proceed further. Did you get a positive reply from ACS ?
I'm literally worried.. till now getting PTE score was tough finally I have cleared my PTE - A (71/66/66/71) now I have landed up in this stage, Plz help me

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can anyone please help to know the results of re-assessment ?

Hi Niks,

I'm in same situation. (Now i want to reevaluate my ACS and want to change the category from Software tester to Software Engg so that i can come under 189 SOL list)

It will be of great help if you can suggest me how to modify the roles and proceed further. Did you get a positive reply from ACS ?
I'm literally worried.. till now getting PTE score was tough finally I have cleared my PTE - A (71/66/66/71) now I have landed up in this stage, Plz help me

Please help and share the outcome if someone has gone for re-assessment !!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.