Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anbody planning to change their pattern of electricity consumption now that electricity will cost more at certain times of day, from today (assuming you have a smart meter and aren't already on a day/night tariff)?

Comienzan las tarifas por horas ¿Cuándo es hoy más barata la luz? | Economía | EL PAÃ�S

I must admit it's making me think about what I use when, although most of our consumption tends to be in the mornings and we can't very well unplug the fridge/freezer for 11 hours a day or have no hot water in the afternoons/evenings!

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Anbody planning to change their pattern of electricity consumption now that electricity will cost more at certain times of day, from today (assuming you have a smart meter and aren't already on a day/night tariff)?

Comienzan las tarifas por horas ¿Cuándo es hoy más barata la luz? | Economía | EL PAÃ�S

I must admit it's making me think about what I use when, although most of our consumption tends to be in the mornings and we can't very well unplug the fridge/freezer for 11 hours a day or have no hot water in the afternoons/evenings!
I didn't know anything about this, but after a quick look at the article I know why - because it doesn't affect us!
The only thing I could/ would possibly change would be the time to do the washing and possibly some baking. All the rest is gas or can't be done at night

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
We don't have smart meters yet. I see the deadline for universal installation has been pushed back to 2018.

I can't honestly see myself doing the washing at midnight or getting up at 5 a.m. to bake a cake. Life will go on as normal in this household!

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a smart meter, and am not on a day/night tariff (just the normal PVPC one) and the only thing I might realistically consider changing is doing the ironing before midday instead of in the afternoon when I usually do it. I'm certainly not going to get up at 3am to do it though! I'm pretty sure that wouldln't make a massive difference to our bill, though. It will be interesting to see how the bills change in future, although the first one should have one month on the old charging system and the other on the new one.

Possibly people whose homes are all-electric will find their bills going up if they are always going to be cooking their main meal during the peak charging period?

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
I didn't know anything about this, but after a quick look at the article I know why - because it doesn't affect us!
The only thing I could/ would possibly change would be the time to do the washing and possibly some baking. All the rest is gas or can't be done at night
PS Didn't mean to sound dismissive!
I did find it interesting so thanks for posting:)

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
I do have a smart meter, and am not on a day/night tariff (just the normal PVPC one) and the only thing I might realistically consider changing is doing the ironing before midday instead of in the afternoon when I usually do it..
Ironing, what's that? :confused2: Ah yes, I remember ...:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts