Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to apply for my PR via the Employer nominated - direct entry stream - subclass 186.

I have been on a 457 for almost 2 years BUT, I changed employers in the first year so I have only been with this company for 15 months.

My boss has given the go-ahead and I have looked into the necessary requirements, i.e. I know I have to do the skills assessment with VETASSESS and that will be the basis of the application along with my employers nomination and proof of training benchmarks etc.

What I am worrried about is the changes to this subclass as of July 1st this year, which seem to state that I need to have 3 years in this EXACT role:
"An applicant may be granted a Subclass 186 (Employer Nomination Scheme) visa under the Direct Entry stream if the applicant, among other things, has been employed in the nominated occupation on a full time basis for at least three years and at the level of skill required for the occupation."

I have almost 2 years in this current role as a producer - that's including both 457 employers I have been through - and then I have 2 years experience from back in Ireland, in a related role, but different job title.
I fall under the 'journalist and other writers' category by the way.
Will my previous work experience from Ireland still count towards the skills assessment?
Or do they need to see 3 years in the exact same role?
And, do they accept gaps inbetween work periods, when I was travelling?

Appreciate any answers/advice, thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi,

You can apply for a 189 or 190 after being on a 457 for over one year, obviously if you have enough points and your work assessment..etc
I applied for QLD SS last December got my PR MAy 2013, we came here on a 457 May 2012, I got sick of asking my employer about the 186 route, it was feeling like a carrot and a donkey situation, now I don't have to worry....Thank the Lord :-D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Judy&Rob. I don't think the 189 or 190 is recommended for my skill area - journalist and other writers - or so I have been advised.
Plus, my boss is more than happy to offer me the 186 option, my fear is just that I don't have enough longevity of work experience in the area to satisfy the skills assessment....!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

The exact role could be a stumbling block, but IMHO it depends on how you submit your VETASSESS application and how they evaluate it.

The official documentation for 186 DES says the following as their skill requirement

"If you are applying for an ENS visa under this stream you need a satisfactory skills assessment from an Australian assessing authority which is specified for your nominated occupation and you have at least 3 years of post-qualification work experience in your nominated occupation"

You already have 2 years in Australia under the nominated occupation in question. You need to prove one of your Irish years in the same role. Again, if you are able to put your case to VETASSESS in such a way that they acknowledge at least 1 of your Irish years as a Producer, that I believe should be good enough for DIAC.

If your VETASSESS evaluation does not prove out 3 years in the exact ANZSCO code that is your nominated occupation (as in your 457 nomination), I suspect the application may be refused. I have heard that DIAC are a bit pedantic about ANZSCO codes.

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to apply for my PR via the Employer nominated - direct entry stream - subclass 186.

I have been on a 457 for almost 2 years BUT, I changed employers in the first year so I have only been with this company for 15 months.

My boss has given the go-ahead and I have looked into the necessary requirements, i.e. I know I have to do the skills assessment with VETASSESS and that will be the basis of the application along with my employers nomination and proof of training benchmarks etc.

What I am worrried about is the changes to this subclass as of July 1st this year, which seem to state that I need to have 3 years in this EXACT role:
"An applicant may be granted a Subclass 186 (Employer Nomination Scheme) visa under the Direct Entry stream if the applicant, among other things, has been employed in the nominated occupation on a full time basis for at least three years and at the level of skill required for the occupation."

I have almost 2 years in this current role as a producer - that's including both 457 employers I have been through - and then I have 2 years experience from back in Ireland, in a related role, but different job title.
I fall under the 'journalist and other writers' category by the way.
Will my previous work experience from Ireland still count towards the skills assessment?
Or do they need to see 3 years in the exact same role?
And, do they accept gaps inbetween work periods, when I was travelling?

Appreciate any answers/advice, thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts