New rules that aim to strengthen Canada’s status as a study destination of choice for prospective international students will be introduced later this year.

The new regulations, which take effect in June, aim to improve services for genuine students, while protecting Canada’s international reputation for high quality education and reducing the potential for fraud and misuse of the programme.


Currently applicants must show that they intend to pursue their studies in Canada when applying for a study permit but under the new rules they must actually enroll on a course and if they give up their studies they could be deported.

From June, study permits will only be issued to successful applicants who are studying at an educational institution that has been designated to receive international students.

The changes also give students the automatic right to work for up to 20 hours per week during term time and full time during holidays. Currently they have to apply for a separate work permit.

A major change is that visitors will be able to apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are at school on an academic exchange, are a visiting student at a designated learning institution or have completed a recognised course accepted by a designated learning institution.

When a student has completed their studies their permit will become invalid 90 days after their course has finished unless they also possess a work permit to remain in Canada.

Students wishing to undertake post graduate studies will be able to work full time until a decision is made for their post graduate permit. Currently they are not able to do so.

International students enrolling on courses in Canada that will last six months or less do not need a study permit. This is not changing. Students from countries whose citizens require a visitor visa will still need a valid visitor visa.

Study permit holders who are studying at a non-designated institution when the new regulations come into effect will be permitted to complete their programme of study, up to a maximum of three years after the regulations take effect.

International students who are studying at a non-designated institution and hold either an Off-Campus Work Permit or a Co-Op Work Permit will be permitted to continue to use, and renew if necessary, those work permits until they complete their studies, up to a maximum of three years after the regulations take effect.