Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just sent in my (US) passport to be renewed with the us embassy, and to change my name to my married name. How does this effect my BRP, as this currently has my maiden name on it, and how will it effect my application to extend my leave? Once I receive my passport, do I need to change my name on the BRP as well?

I'm also inquiring on when I should apply for my extension.

I entered the UK on a fiance visa Feb 20th 2013.

I applied for my spousal visa in May 2013. My Visa will expire Nov 15 2015.
Just for clarity, my timeline began in feb 2013? Therefore I can renew my visa August 20 2015, or 28 days before that?

Also, I am slightly confused about which form I should be using. Set (M)?
Many thanks in advance.
B

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd really like to know the answer to this too. I have yet to change my name after getting married, and have just started looking into the process.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, you have to get a new BRP within 3 months or you may be fined £1,000 (ouch).
https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp/youre-in-the-uk-and-have-a-brp
Your timeline began when you got your spouse leave, which was May 2013 (in Feb you weren't a spouse, only a fiancée). So you can apply on 15th November 2015, minus up to 28 days, which is 18th October (or Monday 19th).
Form is FLR(M) - same form you completed when getting your spouse leave.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a question along the same lines as this post, so figured I would ask here.

My fiance and I are getting married next month and plan to apply for our spouse visa in September sometime (still working out the finance bit). I was planning on doing my legal name change (new drivers license, passport, credit cards, bank accounts, etc) prior to applying for the visa. I would assume that this would be the easiest route to go with the name change so that way everything is already done before moving.

Just making sure this wouldn't complicate the process at all since I will have everything done prior to applying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.