Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings Everyone,

I am an American living in the US, my girlfriend is British living in London, and we are planning on marrying this year and settling in America. Based on our projections, we are looking at a wedding date in mid- to late-July. We submitted the paperwork for her US visa in January and we expect some movement on it this week. However, she just now learned that she has been accepted into university in Scotland, and it is an amazing offer that she can't turn down. The course starts in September and runs for exactly one year, and I want to be there with her.

If anyone can help, what I'm trying to find is any information about my ability to get a temporary work permit for one year while visiting on a spousal visa. There is so much information out there, and we spent months digging through it only to have to scrap it all and start over, so any guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
However, they are now looking much more closely at visas for people planning to get married and those who are newly married since that is the way many possibly undesirables get in. They get a visa then a divorce...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, one more question

Thanks everyone for the info, it's incredibly helpful.

From what I gather, if we get married this summer, it looks like to change our plans it'll cost about $810 (GBP) to get a Spouse via, and it could take up to 90 days to process (or only 15 if we pay an additional $300 USD to expedite the process).

I'm still trying to find the info, but does the work permit come with the visa, or do I have to apply for that separately like I would in the US?

Does all that sound about right? If so, your UK process is like 10,000 x more simple than the US version...

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
A spousal visa gives you the right to work. There is no seperate visa.

If you are getting married in the US, you will apply for your visa from the US and the cost is $1337 plus $300 to expedite. You must also attend a biometrics appointment. Worldbridge, which is the site you use to apply has more info on the specifics.

Here is a link to the requirements for maintenance and accomodation because even though you plan to work, your spouse who is your sponsor, must show that she take care of you without accessing public funds:

Maintenance & Accommodation (MAA)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.