Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Change of Address... how??!!

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Cunégonde 
Hi everyone,

France never seems to disappoint when it comes to making things, that should be simple, impossible!

My current problem is that I have recently changed address, and departments. I believe I need to inform someone that I have done this.... and I think I need to tell the prefecture (that's what OFII told me). But the prefecture refuse to answer any questions about it and insist I need to make an appointment to ask how to do this.

Does anyone know how to do this? I'm predicting that I just need to post a certain number of documents to the prefecture, and I'm predicting it will be my new prefecture, not my old one. Has anyone else done this?

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I am on a student visa, and still on the vignette (I have a rdv in September to renew). I think I should try and get the address thing sorted before trying to convince them that I don't need to go back to my old prefecture to do the paperwork.

Thanks so much for any help! <3
Some Prefectures and Mairies have become extremely busy and will only deal with just abut anything via RDV. That, of course, is exacerbated by the summer vacation period.

As I understand it, you can do your renewal via your new Prefecture without informing your previous Prefecture, but it would be worth checking with them just in case as they may need to request your dossier be transferred - if that requires a rdv, just do it, and be sure to take your current documentation (passport with visa and whatever you have from your old Prefecture and OFII, plus most importantly proof of address with you (recent utilities bill, quittance de loyer - the usual routine) - you normally require that for all dealings with the administration, even if you haven't moved.

Not really impossible, it's simply that your not familiar with processes here whereas back home most of the processes are so familiar they don't seem odd in any way (that said, overseas students in Australia also have to go through various processes that you as an Australian have no idea about) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.