Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I'm planning to complete my Pg-dip in New Zealand (Construction Project Management). So what are my chances of getting a job on PSW visa after graduation?

Pls advice

·
Super Moderator
4,933 Posts
Chances are good so long as you are in a place that has a market for the position you are wanting. Job wise NZ is not a big place so you may have to relocate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chances are good so long as you are in a place that has a market for the position you are wanting. Job wise NZ is not a big place so you may have to relocate.
Again, I find it so troubling. Why does every keep saying that jobs are scarce in NZ whereas when I search online right now at least the engineering field has so many of them.

Anyways, can anybody please tell me how much is it possible for a NZ employer to issue a job (and a job offer letter) to a non-NZ PR or citizen?
I keep reading that without the job offer you won't get the RV, but as far as Australia or Canada is concerned they rarely bother to employ a non-PR or citizen of the respective country. If this is also the case in NZ, then what's the point :mad:

·
Super Moderator
4,933 Posts
Again, I find it so troubling. Why does every keep saying that jobs are scarce in NZ whereas when I search online right now at least the engineering field has so many of them.

Anyways, can anybody please tell me how much is it possible for a NZ employer to issue a job (and a job offer letter) to a non-NZ PR or citizen?
I keep reading that without the job offer you won't get the RV, but as far as Australia or Canada is concerned they rarely bother to employ a non-PR or citizen of the respective country. If this is also the case in NZ, then what's the point :mad:
There may be many vacancies across NZ in a particular occupation field but many employers rule out the possibility of employing a person from overseas for one reason or another. Maybe it's due to risk or the additional time/cost constraints or maybe them not fully knowing Immigration rules etc ?
It is possible to get a job here from overseas but it all depends on your industry and your skill set. If employers can fill those posts using people that are already here with the right to work then they'll not consider overseas. Employers here have a duty to employ people already here with a right to work before anyone from overseas.....common sense really.
Without either a job offer, NZ work experience or NZ study experience you will not be given RV even if you have the minimum 160 points. You will only be given JSV. Most people struggle to even make the 160 points without a job offer.

Migration to NZ isn't meant to be easy. It is set up to attract a certain calibre of well educated and experienced personnel to assist in it's future growth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Escapedtonz, I will be in that position (needing a job offer to get a visa) once I have passed the NZQA. I work in HR and I am willing to go where the job is. If it is difficult to gain a job offer from overseas then do you have any tips on securing a job? I don't want to use an agent to help secure a job as they are very expensive. A few pointers would be greatly received.

·
Super Moderator
4,933 Posts
Hi Escapedtonz, I will be in that position (needing a job offer to get a visa) once I have passed the NZQA. I work in HR and I am willing to go where the job is. If it is difficult to gain a job offer from overseas then do you have any tips on securing a job? I don't want to use an agent to help secure a job as they are very expensive. A few pointers would be greatly received.
Not really.
You just have to be smart and don't take no for an answer.
First of all you need to convert your CV into a format that works well in NZ. Employers here like a CV to be very concise. They don't tend to care what job you did three jobs ago or what qualifications you received from school. They only seem to be interested in now and what you did before now plus tertiary qualifications plus they'd possibly like to know more about you as an individual etc ?
Recruitment Agents are free......or should be free to you. Don't ever pay one anything. If they are asking for money I'd question whether they are legitimate.
Recruitment agencies here work for the companies who have the job vacancies. Many companies here don't have their own recruitment teams so they sign up with multiple agencies to fill their vacancies. The recruitment agencies get paid to sift through all the applicants and push forward the ones who stand out. They'll be paid a finders fee most likely for people the get through for interview and will make a % of any offered salary should a job offer be made, a contract signed and employment started.
If you are to sign up with a recruiter only sign up with one as NZ is a small place when it comes to jobs. You don't want to be applying for the same job through multiple agencies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts