Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

CGT Query

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Lolito 
#1 ·
Ok I do not wish re run the previous debate re CGT payable in Spain on sale of UK house if you move to Spain in same year you become tax resident- we did that one to death and it was generally accepted, you must avoid becoming tax res in same year you sell

What I DO actually want to ask about is something else I have read on this issue

I have read that if you sell up in UK and then fully invest all of that by buying a property in Spain you will NOT be liable for CGT there?

Have I read this wrong ( bet I have!!!!)

Thanks folks

Capital Gains Tax - Sale of UK Property - Citizens Advice Bureau Spain

#9 ·
Nothing to pay just like the UK as it remains your primary residence. We declared the sale last year in la renta with the promise to buy something soon and declared the purchase of spanish house in this years renta. All done by the gestor without pain. As with the UK there is a 3 year deadline from when you stop living in your primary (UK) residance otherwise you can become liable. One caveat is that we live in Gipuzkoa (seperate hacienda) although I´ve been told its the same in rest of Spain.

#10 ·
Ha ha- I have mixed our lines of communication by also messaging you. Thanks very much for your help

Just to be clear is it the cash remaining from the sale of your UK house we are talking about ( sale price less mortgage) or is it total selling price with no allowance for deducting the mortgage? Thanks again

#14 ·
Well since I got ribbed today for seeking info from another forum I will stick with this great institution for another quick query.

As far as I have gathered , including from contributions on this thread ( thanks folks) CGT can be offset through rollover if the gain from the sale is reinvested in another property within 2 years. I get that bit

What I am wondering is- do I have to sell UK HOUSE FIRST or can I purchase a Spanish property then within 2 years sell my UK house and offset the CGT I would owe in Spain?

#15 ·
I am paying my CGT in Spain on Tuesday 30th June as everybody else.

I sold my property in UK last year, and although I also bought a house here (with the profit) a few months later, I still had to pay CGT as my London home wasn't my main residence as I was a resident in Spain and I was renting out my property for the last 3 years.

CGT is paid in Spain as I am a fiscal resident here. I thought I'd have to pay lots but in the end with lots of discounts, is nearing 10k euros. Hacienda knows everything, no point trying to beat them. You won't.

#16 ·
Thanks for that. My situ is different.

I have my main and only home in UK. Am resident in UK. My plan is to buy a house in Spain and then sell UK house and move out there.

My query was if I did all this in the same year as becoming tax resident in Spain could I offset the CGT which would be owed in Spain on sale of my UK home against my Spanish purchase. My enquiries so far would suggest this is ok to do

#17 ·
Can't help you there, Hacienda changes the rules every other day, so it is difficult to keep us, even our Gestor was having trouble with it.

if you sell next year, the declaracion would be for 2017... lots of things change every year. We could 'desgravar' next year, for the buying of our house this year... but we can't do that anymore, it would have been a good chunk of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.