Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can someone advise me on certified translations of supporting documents for a Fiance/ Spouse Visa?

I have found a company that are UK based and provide three levels of certified translation - basic, sworn and notarised. They explain the difference, the main thing that I need confirmation of is for a degree certificate to be translated and certified, is the basic translation ok for the UKBA?

This would mean in the application, the original degree certificate and transcript would be submitted exactly as issued originally along with a certified translation of the certificate and transcript and a dated, signed certification letter from the organisation including the details of the translator's credentials verifying that it is an accurate and complete translation of the original document and the company accreditation to translate.

The company I have found only requires the original certificate and transcript to be scanned in and emailed over for the basic translation, they then post out the documents to you, which would be really convenient instead of posting the original off/ taking it to be translated but I want to make sure that the level is appropriate for the application.

Anyone used a translation service like this or know if the basic certification is acceptable?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
All you need is the translation and either attached to or in a separate letter, a certification that it's an accurate translation of the original. When certification is on the translation itself, it's called two-part and if it's on separate sheet, three-part. Either will do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All you need is the translation and either attached to or in a separate letter, a certification that it's an accurate translation of the original. When certification is on the translation itself, it's called two-part and if it's on separate sheet, three-part. Either will do.
Thank you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi,

I've got a quick question regarding supporting documents that need translating. Didn't want to start a new thread over this so I figured I'd ask here!

What documents are there that actually need/will probably need translating?? I've been compiling a list of documents need for the actual visa and I'm worried that I'm not quite seeing which documents/evidence actually need translating!

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I've got a quick question regarding supporting documents that need translating. Didn't want to start a new thread over this so I figured I'd ask here!

What documents are there that actually need/will probably need translating?? I've been compiling a list of documents need for the actual visa and I'm worried that I'm not quite seeing which documents/evidence actually need translating!

Thanks
The UKBA says this, "Where any specified documents provided are not in English or Welsh, the applicant must provide the original and a full translation that can be independently verified by the Entry Clearance Officer, Immigration Officer or the Secretary of State."

Documents including degree certificates and transcripts need to be translated, along with marriage certificates/ divorce papers etc. Any of the documents that are on the list as required documentation that you are submitting need to be translated if they are not in English.

The Entry Clearance Officer needs to know what it is that they are looking at if they are to be able to consider your application properly.

I don't know about email headers/ personal correspondance having to be translated etc, I'm sure someone else will be able to help with that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the response! As far as I can tell all that might need translating then is her introduction letter, instant messenger chat logs and her passport etc.

I'm fairly sure there's no need to include any documentation for her finances, employment history etc so that's fine.

I seem to remember the immigration solicitor had my in laws write a 'letter of approval' sort of thing, fairly sure that's not actually needed?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thanks for the response! As far as I can tell all that might need translating then is her introduction letter, instant messenger chat logs and her passport etc.

I'm fairly sure there's no need to include any documentation for her finances, employment history etc so that's fine.

I seem to remember the immigration solicitor had my in laws write a 'letter of approval' sort of thing, fairly sure that's not actually needed?
There is no need for any of her employment info and third party letters are irrelevant and will be ignored.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.