Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Possibly in the wrong thread and apologies if it has been asked before.

I need to get certified copies of my French Transport Licence sent to Switzerland by the 1st of December. The problem is that I am in Wales until the 5th of December.

Where can I go in the UK to get this done? There is a Swiss embassy in London but that is a fair old drive for me and they are only open 09:00-12:00 weekdays!

Hope somebody can help as I will be in a bit of a pickle if I can't find a solution soon.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
What d'you mean by certified, re the Swiss authorities? If your licence is already in French, it shouldn't be a language issue ....

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Can't you just take a copy to a local solicitor to get it authenticated and send that?

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Normally to get a "certified" copy in France, you take the original and your copy or copies to the mairie and get them to certify the copies as "certified to be the same as the originals."

Not sure if you can get a town hall or other town official to certify copies in the same manner in the UK. You need someone with an official looking seal or stamp, I reckon.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
In the UK, all solicitors can do it. Costs are (or used to be) a negligible amount - under a tenner.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent, my Dad is solicitor. The only problem is that I don't know for sure if the Swiss authorities will accept a certified copy from someone in the UK of a French document.

Any thoughts? Do you think I might get some ideas if i post this in the Swiss Expat Forum?

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
They only have to declare that the copy is an exact copy; Switzerland is pretty multilingual so an English certification should be OK, but if necessary, you can construe a phrase in French which means the same thing.

Ask us if you don't know how to do that, and someone here will help.

:)

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Thank you. I'm not very good at written French so if someone can help me with the phrasing that would be most useful.
Can you ask your Dad what the English wording would be? But in French, I'd suggest something like "je constate que la copie ci-presente est une copie veritable/authentique de l'originale" and obviously stamped/embossed/whatever - that's not proper French - I need to think a tad more, but maybe someone else will contribute.

I'd suggest it be written in both English and French.

hils

NB for purists: I think "constater" requires the subjunctive, but subjunctive confers doubt, so I'm not sure .....

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
The phrase I suggested would do, but it's not exactly right. Hang about a bit & see if my brain kicks in or someone else has a better suggestion.

h ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.