Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

After many months of dead ends I'm trying to help my parents with the mission of getting a European Certificate of Conformity (Coc) for their VW Beetle.

They have a 1979 US-built VW Beetle which has been sitting in their garage in France for over a year because we cannot get the CoC.

The main problem is that VW do not produce Certificates of Conformity pre 1995. Without this the car cannot be driven.

Does anyone have any idea how or what to do? It is so sad to see this beautiful car gathering dust because we just cannot get the right certification.

Merci en avance for any help.
Sally

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I don't think any manufacturer does CoC's for vehicles prior to about 1995 or so. Before that time (and the intervention of the EU in that whole process), you had to take a "foreign" vehicle in to the Department des Mines for a rather thorough inspection. (I had to do this with my German car in 1995 to be sure that it met French standards at the time!)

But in your case, I think what you want to do is to register the car as a "véhicule de collection". More information here: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1925
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bev, quick question - we can't get the Carte Gris without the MOT/Control Technique...So it seems a bit of a Catch 22...Do you know any more? Many thanks

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Bev, quick question - we can't get the Carte Gris without the MOT/Control Technique...So it seems a bit of a Catch 22...Do you know any more? Many thanks
There are clubs dedicated to various brands of "véhicules de collection" and I'm absolutely sure there is one for VW beetles. (They always seem to turn out to the Locomotion event each year - https://lalocomotionenfete.com/ ) That club might be your best bet as to how to deal with the MOT/Control Technique issue.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts