Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I know someone out there will have the answer to this.

I want to register an old BMW Motorbike - currently UK registered, here in France.

I am told by BMW in the UK that the Certifictae of Conformity paperwork that you would normally need , only became mandatory in European Union from 2003. The bike was bult back in 1992.

I have sent many emails - 4 now, and two faxes to BMW in France and had no reply. Can anyone advise as to what I will need to take to get the bike registered here in France. MOT ( French equivalent) I understand is not needed for a motorbike.

You just know that if I turn up at the Vehicle Registration office with UK log book, Insurance certificate and bill of sale that someon will say -..."ohh, well you need one of these ...... instead of a COC".

Any advice greatfully received....PS When I applied to BMW in the UK for the Certificate of Conformity for a Car I also want to register they sent it free of charge !! That was a result! So try you car munfacturer first.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know this is an old post and you don't seem to have got any replies but we're now in the same situation. How did you get on?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi,
Its a BMW R1100RT 1999 which means its pre the start of 2003 COC's.
Think I can only get a partial COC, do the headlight and speedo change and get an attestation from a BMW concessionaire before reapplying to BMW France for the full cert.
Is that about right?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have had a couple of wild days!

What you say about the partial COC is correct. If it is any help, we do have a European headlight for an 1100RT. My partner's was a 2000 so would be correct if it is any use to you, it's yours for the cost of postage and a bottle of wine! Cheers! MS

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, Thanks, I thought I had it right. Unfortunately,having resigned myself to the inevitable, I bought used headlight and speedo yesterday on Ebay so I will have to decline your very kind offer (story of my life!).

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hi, Thanks, I thought I had it right. Unfortunately,having resigned myself to the inevitable, I bought used headlight and speedo yesterday on Ebay so I will have to decline your very kind offer (story of my life!).
Ah well. Story of mine too! I hope everything goes like clockwork for you. Cheers! MS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.