Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an iphone that I use here in the states. My provider does not offer service in Spain. What is the best way to go about finding a service that provides internet and texting? Do any offer international texting? What have you found for the best cell phone service?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
get a Spanish sim card. Who is best? everyone has a different opinion. Personally, I grudge giving a single cent to Moviestar, but have to use them for mobiles (recption issues wher my house is) Orange for internet, but the bandwidth is so limited it's scary.

In short, what you have to get your head around is that when it comes to telecomunications,this is 3rd world country.Moviestar/telefonica have a stranglehold on the infrastructure and are a law unto themselves

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how does it work? you get a sim card and then it takes away minutes or credit when you use the internet or send a text message?

·
Administrator
36,440 Posts
So how does it work? you get a sim card and then it takes away minutes or credit when you use the internet or send a text message?
that's if you're on Pay As You Go - you can get contracts of various kinds, too

you might be able to get your phone 'unlocked' from the US provider & get a contract sim - I'm not sure though, cos my husband had phones from the US which he never could use here

you need to ask around locally for the best coverage- I mean neighbours & friends & then look at what deals likely companies are offering, rather than deals first, neighbours second

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
that's if you're on Pay As You Go - you can get contracts of various kinds, too

you might be able to get your phone 'unlocked' from the US provider & get a contract sim - I'm not sure though, cos my husband had phones from the US which he never could use here

you need to ask around locally for the best coverage- I mean neighbours & friends & then look at what deals likely companies are offering, rather than deals first, neighbours second

Don't forget that there are two/three different systems and Europe tends to use a different one to USA. Because of this, you need a phone that can 'switch' between the technologies.

Some providers don't allow this functionality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts