Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised my teen I would ask this question (besides, she is driving me nuts!). We are planning a move to Dubai this summer. What is the best way/plan for cell usage that will/may let her continue her text madness with her friends in the US. Does anyone have an idea?

What are the average costs for cell phones and how the the plans work over there?

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Can you yahoo message on them? Maybe that will/could be an alternative. Tell their friends that is just how its going to be and they will have to utilize that for messaging.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess you can enable a 3G data plan and ask her to use the mobile web instead

Personally I use AIM to text my friends in the US - afaik there still aren't many direct tie-ups between Etisalat & US telecoms save for Sprint and a few others

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you can enable a 3G data plan and ask her to use the mobile web instead

Personally I use AIM to text my friends in the US - afaik there still aren't many direct tie-ups between Etisalat & US telecoms save for Sprint and a few others
So if she had a data plan on her phone over there then she could chat/IM via AIM, Yahoo, My(rotten)Space etc.....?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use an E71 that I got from Italy - it came with support for AIM/yahoo/etc apps - not sure of other models - the local telecom is a little retarded about their sms policies - I cant even use Twitter via text from my phone because of it - have to use the mobile web interface

as for social networks - there is mobile support for facebook (not myspace afaik)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use an E71 that I got from Italy - it came with support for AIM/yahoo/etc apps - not sure of other models - the local telecom is a little retarded about their sms policies - I cant even use Twitter via text from my phone because of it - have to use the mobile web interface

as for social networks - there is mobile support for facebook (not myspace afaik)
Thanks for everyone's help, it has eased her mind that she won't be lost in cyberspace with no one to talk to!:clap2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.