Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone live in "Cedre Villas"? Any feedback on what its like to live there or the surronding area etc?

Appreciate some feedback please.

Thank you:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cedar Villas

Hi,

Does anyone live in "Cedre Villas"? Any feedback on what its like to live there or the surronding area etc?

Appreciate some feedback please.

Thank you:)
Hello,
I recently moved to Dubai with my husband and 3 yr old son, we live in Cedar Villas. I like living here, the places are nice. Because the Villa's are so new, I find it a bit hard to meet people, since many Villa's around me are empty yet. The area is good for kids to ride bikes, the pool and playground area isn't finished yet. There is a Spinneys in the old DSO area that we go to, along with coffee shop, liquor store, etc.
I'm happy so far with the place, looking to meet some friends around the area soon though.
Let me know if you have any more specific questions, I would be glad to help.

Abby

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

Hi Abby
My husband and I and are 2 kids are moving to Dubai this year and im guessing we will be moving into the Emirates pilot designated Ceder Villas. Would love to hear all about life there for you...My kids are 3 and 4... Is your husband with EK? Is the area still a ghost town or are people moving in every week? We checked out the villas and they seemed nice.
Hope to hear from you
X

Hello,
I recently moved to Dubai with my husband and 3 yr old son, we live in Cedar Villas. I like living here, the places are nice. Because the Villa's are so new, I find it a bit hard to meet people, since many Villa's around me are empty yet. The area is good for kids to ride bikes, the pool and playground area isn't finished yet. There is a Spinneys in the old DSO area that we go to, along with coffee shop, liquor store, etc.
I'm happy so far with the place, looking to meet some friends around the area soon though.
Let me know if you have any more specific questions, I would be glad to help.

Abby

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Abby
My husband and I and are 2 kids are moving to Dubai this year and im guessing we will be moving into the Emirates pilot designated Ceder Villas. Would love to hear all about life there for you...My kids are 3 and 4... Is your husband with EK? Is the area still a ghost town or are people moving in every week? We checked out the villas and they seemed nice.
Hope to hear from you
X
Hello,
When will you be moving here? Yes, husband is with EK. Its not a ghost town here, many people have moved in. Everyone is waiting anxiously for the pool to open! Our community center is said to open Aug 2010. I have been in Dubai since October, and I am still adjusting. I haven't made any close friends yet, so thats hard. Have you looked into schools at all yet for your little ones when its time? The Villas are nice, we are happy here. I'm from a small town, so I enjoy being a bit out of the city. Everything is in driving distance though. I would love to answer any questions you may have!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello!

Hi
My husband just got the job offer (AIRBUS) and is planning on a July ground school. We will probably come over in August. We are from Phoenix, AZ. (YOU??) My husband is leaving his job at us airways to come over...Is your husband happy thus far??
We were in Dubai a couple of months ago and did check out as much as we could in the 6 days...Im trying to find a school now for my 4 year old and not sure whether a uk school or american would be best..I like the sound of Universal Americian school which is in festival city (thats fairly close to Ceder I think?) My little girl turns 4 in December so I have a while to look for her.. Im sure living in a totally different country and not knowing anyone is really difficult at first..How do you spend your days?? I really hope the pool opens soon YIKES !!
Did you get the unfurnished villa?? If so how was shoppping for stuff, appliances etc?? We are thinking of shipping our house and car over to save the hassles when we arrive..So many things to figure out!!
XX

Hello,
When will you be moving here? Yes, husband is with EK. Its not a ghost town here, many people have moved in. Everyone is waiting anxiously for the pool to open! Our community center is said to open Aug 2010. I have been in Dubai since October, and I am still adjusting. I haven't made any close friends yet, so thats hard. Have you looked into schools at all yet for your little ones when its time? The Villas are nice, we are happy here. I'm from a small town, so I enjoy being a bit out of the city. Everything is in driving distance though. I would love to answer any questions you may have!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi
My husband just got the job offer (AIRBUS) and is planning on a July ground school. We will probably come over in August. We are from Phoenix, AZ. (YOU??) My husband is leaving his job at us airways to come over...Is your husband happy thus far??
We were in Dubai a couple of months ago and did check out as much as we could in the 6 days...Im trying to find a school now for my 4 year old and not sure whether a uk school or american would be best..I like the sound of Universal Americian school which is in festival city (thats fairly close to Ceder I think?) My little girl turns 4 in December so I have a while to look for her.. Im sure living in a totally different country and not knowing anyone is really difficult at first..How do you spend your days?? I really hope the pool opens soon YIKES !!
Did you get the unfurnished villa?? If so how was shoppping for stuff, appliances etc?? We are thinking of shipping our house and car over to save the hassles when we arrive..So many things to figure out!!
XX
My husband is on the 777, and he is happy here. Do you mind me asking why your husband is leaving us airways? We are from Minneapolis, MN. We have a 3 yr old son, he will be 4 in November. I've been interested in the American School of Dubai. They have a new campus that is supposed to open this fall in Al Barsha. It would be a bit of a drive from our Villa though. Festival city wouldn't be that bad of a drive. I haven't toured any schools, but I think its a good idea before choosing. Will you be working while your here? We spend a lot of our days going to the Habtoor pool (part of the EPC club) or the beach. When Peter is gone on trips, I tend to get a little bored. I need to get involved in something, and I hoping with time I will meet more people. We furnished our Villa, and still are working on it slowly. I think a lot of people tend to ship their things here. I think it would be a lot less stressful doing it that way, and you have your own things, making it feel a little more like home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

Abby
My husband is soooo over the us airways bull**** after they merged with his former America West. Hes been here 7 years still on reserve and really cant see things turning around. He applied at Emirates last year when he was told he was getting furloughted (he is 27 from the bottom of seniority) Looking for stability for once...Seems like EK has there own set of issues from whats weve heard but the way we see things we might be better off for a few years! Such a crazy industry !
I hope we can meet up and our kids can play together! Im hoping EK will confirm we are going to be at Ceder...Worries me that I might get Samuel into a school then they change their minds on the accomodation! Have heard they make lots of unscheduled changes! Glad your husband is happy though..Where did he work before?? I used to be a pilot for Mesa Airlines before I had children. Might try to get a job there at some point,,,heard there is a pottery barn and Crate and Barrell!!
Talk soon
X Lucie
p.s do you skype??

My husband is on the 777, and he is happy here. Do you mind me asking why your husband is leaving us airways? We are from Minneapolis, MN. We have a 3 yr old son, he will be 4 in November. I've been interested in the American School of Dubai. They have a new campus that is supposed to open this fall in Al Barsha. It would be a bit of a drive from our Villa though. Festival city wouldn't be that bad of a drive. I haven't toured any schools, but I think its a good idea before choosing. Will you be working while your here? We spend a lot of our days going to the Habtoor pool (part of the EPC club) or the beach. When Peter is gone on trips, I tend to get a little bored. I need to get involved in something, and I hoping with time I will meet more people. We furnished our Villa, and still are working on it slowly. I think a lot of people tend to ship their things here. I think it would be a lot less stressful doing it that way, and you have your own things, making it feel a little more like home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Abby
My husband is soooo over the us airways bull**** after they merged with his former America West. Hes been here 7 years still on reserve and really cant see things turning around. He applied at Emirates last year when he was told he was getting furloughted (he is 27 from the bottom of seniority) Looking for stability for once...Seems like EK has there own set of issues from whats weve heard but the way we see things we might be better off for a few years! Such a crazy industry !
I hope we can meet up and our kids can play together! Im hoping EK will confirm we are going to be at Ceder...Worries me that I might get Samuel into a school then they change their minds on the accomodation! Have heard they make lots of unscheduled changes! Glad your husband is happy though..Where did he work before?? I used to be a pilot for Mesa Airlines before I had children. Might try to get a job there at some point,,,heard there is a pottery barn and Crate and Barrell!!
Talk soon
X Lucie
p.s do you skype??
EK does have some issues, but I think its hard to find a place these days that doesn't. Are you guys planning on being here long term? We plan to be here 10-15 years, hoping my husband can retire in that time, from the airlines anyway.
I would love to get together once you move out here, and the kids can play together. Mason needs some friends around here! Hopefully they will be able to confirm your accommodations soon. My husband was with Express Jet before coming here, for about 7 years. Yes, there is a Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, and a Bloomingdales if your into that! I miss Target SO much! Having Maids over here is very common, is that something you have given any thought? We personally don't have a Maid, and won't be getting one. Since I won't be working, I'd rather not have someone else raising my kids! Yes we do use Skype, you will need a VPN!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hellllo

Hi again
We just got an email from Kathryn at HQ and she explained they couldnt confirm accomodations but its very likely that if we request Cedre we will get it..One or two families got Jumeriah last month (I certainly wouldnt complain about a beach villa!!) Do you know any other people there yet? Im totally not planning on getting a maid!! Can you imagine? What would I do all day, sit on the couch and eat bon bons whilst she cooks and cleans! HA. I might get a cleaner once a week though as my friend there has one for his apartment and the guy is really nice and sooo cheap! We are thinking at least 5 years that would change if the upgrade time is 7 years still...Would be great to leave Dubai with our debts gone and some $$ in the bank for once!! Just got a quote for the container today and cant believe its less than 10 K for all our stuff and car! Will definately go that route I think....Have you done any landscaping yet?? Hope the tiny backyards will work out okay for us all.. I know a family in WA HA? that have a huge garden! Im sure ours will be just fine for a trampoline or bouncy house! Mason and My little girl Seren would be perfect buddies im sure..
We just came home from a shopping trip to Target funny you mention it!! Got some good clothes there today for my 4 1/2 year old that is growing like mad..
Talk to you soon
XXLUCIE

EK does have some issues, but I think its hard to find a place these days that doesn't. Are you guys planning on being here long term? We plan to be here 10-15 years, hoping my husband can retire in that time, from the airlines anyway.
I would love to get together once you move out here, and the kids can play together. Mason needs some friends around here! Hopefully they will be able to confirm your accommodations soon. My husband was with Express Jet before coming here, for about 7 years. Yes, there is a Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, and a Bloomingdales if your into that! I miss Target SO much! Having Maids over here is very common, is that something you have given any thought? We personally don't have a Maid, and won't be getting one. Since I won't be working, I'd rather not have someone else raising my kids! Yes we do use Skype, you will need a VPN!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
You might be better to leave the car behind and buy or rent one here. You`ll pay 5% inport tax and the car won`t be GCC specification, although apart from the cooling and a/c there won`t be much difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi there girls,
Just reading your thread and remembering when we were knew. Do not ship your car! Cars/trucks are cheap here. With a family and the crazy drivers you will want a bigger car or truck. Gas is cheap! As for the maid thing...I was like you both. Not getting one, don't need one etc. Well, I found a part time on call job and guess what? There are no after school daycare centres or babysitters around. We ended up getting a maid and quite honestly we never regretted it. I found we had more time with our kids. When they wanted to play at the pool or beach I wasn't stressing about how I had to clean or do laundry so could they wait or maybe we go another day? We went! We did however teach our kids and maid that housework is shared. Kids needed to help with dishes, cleaning rooms and making beds. That was hard for the maid to wrap her head around but I told her that when the kids move out when they're older they need to learn how to take care of their home. Our girls we had were incredible and I still love them. If you find the right one they become a part of your family. We didn't have two....one left to go back home and we took on her cousin.

Schools are a huge issue in the UAE as most are for profit. All I can say is research and go with the one that FEELS right for you and your family.

We are not at EK but know so many people there. EK is not perfect but it will be what you make of it. If you get wrapped up in drama and command issues ( assuming your husband is an FO ) you'll go crazy. go with the flow, enjoy stable employment adn embrace this new exciting adventure.

Good luck girls and don't worry....friends will be made when you least expect it or when you need it most!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
cars

Is it fairly painless to buy a car there?? I absolutely dread going thru the day long process plus we still have a year left to pay on our car... Are they really alot cheaper than the US?? How about registrations fees etc??? Thanks

You might be better to leave the car behind and buy or rent one here. You`ll pay 5% inport tax and the car won`t be GCC specification, although apart from the cooling and a/c there won`t be much difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Appliances

Hi,

My husband (also with EK) & I are moving to Cedre on Monday. I have a HUGE favour to ask... please could you send me the measurements of the spaces for the appliances... stove, fridge and dishwasher. I am desperate to order some appliances so that they arrive when we do but don't have any of the measurements.

Much appreciated!
Tammy

·
Registered
20 Posts
HI

Hi Tammy
Would love to know how you like Cedre next week...A very exciting move for you guys...Would love to hear from you before we move in !

Hi,

My husband (also with EK) & I are moving to Cedre on Monday. I have a HUGE favour to ask... please could you send me the measurements of the spaces for the appliances... stove, fridge and dishwasher. I am desperate to order some appliances so that they arrive when we do but don't have any of the measurements.

Much appreciated!
Tammy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Ekexpat,

Thanks, we are very excited to get out of the flat!! My daughter & I have been here for 6 months, my husband has been here for 3.5 years. We have been waiting to move to Silicon Oasis phase 1 for a while now but due to some relocations it will be at least a year until we'd get in there & we're looking to buy so the move to Cedre will hopefully not be for more than 2 years. Although very nice villas we find the gardens very small coming from SA.

Re:Cars... cars are very cheap & if you want to pick up a really good deal I would recommend buying a 2nd hand car. You can check out sites like Dubizzle dot com to get an idea of prices.

All the best with your big move!! Dubai is really a lovely place to live.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Ekexpat,

Thanks, we are very excited to get out of the flat!! My daughter & I have been here for 6 months, my husband has been here for 3.5 years. We have been waiting to move to Silicon Oasis phase 1 for a while now but due to some relocations it will be at least a year until we'd get in there & we're looking to buy so the move to Cedre will hopefully not be for more than 2 years. Although very nice villas we find the gardens very small coming from SA.

Re:Cars... cars are very cheap & if you want to pick up a really good deal I would recommend buying a 2nd hand car. You can check out sites like Dubizzle dot com to get an idea of prices.

All the best with your big move!! Dubai is really a lovely place to live.
Hello, I had all the measurements, but can't seem to find it. I will ask my husband when he gets home if he knows where it is, or maybe he can redo them! Goodluck with the move, we enjoy it here.
Ekexpat, replied to your email, not sure if you received it or not?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

tammy
Can you request DSO phase 1?? Thats really where we want to live as I know families there (plus the villas look nicer!) Do you have an email address for the accomodations department..Ive heard squeeky wheel gets the oil at Ek !
Thanks Lucie

Hi,

Much appreciated!
Tammy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Abby: Thanks so much for your (& your husband's) help!

Lucie: I don't have the email address as my husband is away & I don't have access to his email. We tried to be very sweet & emailed/called them every week... it didn't get us anywhere. We only managed to get on the non-existent waiting list because of a glitch on housing's behalf which we took up with HR. We haven't found the accommodation department to be very accommodating (excuse the pun)... you are usually only able to deal with your housing rep & when we did try to speak to those higher up in the food chain we were told to deal with our housing rep... & you can be super sweet to them but at the end of the day their orders come from higher up. Anyway, anything is possible... I would email your HR rep & ask her how best to make your preference known to housing. Sometimes it is best to let HR relay the message. It is best to try get into a villa where you will be happy as, unless you are buying, you won't be able to move... and let HR know how you feel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No problem! actually at this point I will be fine I think with a villa and besides its taken about 5 emails to get the date of my husbands ground school changed on the portal and contract so Im not thinking things will be easy! I feel so bad for the families that were in temporary housing for a year...Cedre looks great and Im sure once things go in around the area it will be perfect for us. Cant decide on a school though..Have emailed a bunch..Help if you know anything! Dont have any idea how far each place is...I Like D.I. A and D.A. A but not sure if I should be going to UK or US...does it really matter for a 5 year old in Kindergarten?? So many things to do...
Keep in touch!

Abby: Thanks so much for your (& your husband's) help!

Lucie: I don't have the email address as my husband is away & I don't have access to his email. We tried to be very sweet & emailed/called them every week... it didn't get us anywhere. We only managed to get on the non-existent waiting list because of a glitch on housing's behalf which we took up with HR. We haven't found the accommodation department to be very accommodating (excuse the pun)... you are usually only able to deal with your housing rep & when we did try to speak to those higher up in the food chain we were told to deal with our housing rep... & you can be super sweet to them but at the end of the day their orders come from higher up. Anyway, anything is possible... I would email your HR rep & ask her how best to make your preference known to housing. Sometimes it is best to let HR relay the message. It is best to try get into a villa where you will be happy as, unless you are buying, you won't be able to move... and let HR know how you feel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

I am looking at moving over to Dubai in july, my husband is already there and we looked at Cedre Villas, silicon oasis. My daughter has been accepted into Repton School. She is 13 yrs old, are there kids her age there do you know? or is it still too quiet? I am really looking forward to the move but worry about her meeting new friends and me too i suppose. Anything you could tell me would be grateful.

Helly

1 - 20 of 54 Posts