Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Firstly, a bit of background. I am an American living and working in the UK with a five year residence card as a family member of an EEA national. I have been living here three and a half years and first came over on a 6-month EEA family permit. Due to a misunderstanding about what paperwork was necessary to send in, and the subsequent delay, I still have three years left on my residence card. I have been working for over three years and currently have a full-time position and am the only one with an income supporting us. Also, we do not receive any government assistance.

My husband is a Swedish citizen and has been living and studying for a PhD here for five and a half years. Last year his stipend (income) ran out but he'll only be graduating just this month. He's looking for jobs in the UK but as he's in a highly qualified and narrow field, we expect it to take a little while.

My questions are; how does him ceasing his studies affect me / us? Will this invalidate my residence card or will I be okay until the date runs out on it? I read that there is a sort of 6 months allowed to be a 'job seeker' before you're no longer considered to be 'exercising your treaty rights'? Also, we've thought about him registering as self-employed as he does a bit of photography and such but this would only really be marginal income.

And sort of on the back of that; we're planning a trip back to Sweden in a few months, will re-entry to the UK be any problem although I have my RC? I know EU citizens are allowed to freely move within EU member states but they still ask questions such as what is your occupation, etc...

Thank you very much for any help that can be offered! :)

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Your husband can exercise treaty rights by being self-sufficient, being supported by your income. The only thing is, you will then both need comprehensive sickness insurance, but as he has been student, you may already have it.
No issues about re-entering on your RC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.