Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I am currently trying to make an online appointment for my CDS renewal but all available options occur after my CDS expires.

Would it be possible to book the online appointment and then go in next week to get a temporary CDS while I wait for the appointment? Or is it best to just go in person ASAP with all of my documents, without an appointment and hope for the best? Would the required documents be the same if requesting a temporary CDS?

As my husband is the EU citizen (I have an EU family member CDS), I know that he will have to be present for my first official appointment, but would his presence be required for a walk-in (temporary CDS) request?

Totally kicking myself for not having booked online sooner... You'd think after the first round of complications I would have learnt my lesson! Sigh...

·
Administrator
51,630 Posts
Do they say specifically that your EU spouse has to accompany you?

Take the first appointment you can get - and then print a copy of the appointment confirmation and carry it with you along with your CDS. It's actually pretty rare that you're asked to show your CDS, but if you have to, you have the proof that you have booked an appointment.

Trying to get around the appointment system is liable to just annoy the office staff at the prefecture. Pull together your documents, and maybe even keep checking in the online appointment system. Sometimes a cancelled appointment comes available. (At least it does for the consulates when you're trying to get a visa appointment.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went deeper into my online research and have gathered that in order to get an appointment on time (which they say should be 2 months prior to expiry) you should inquire FOUR months in advance! Yet if you try to book too early, you will not be able to get an appointment. I did not know any of this, so just wanted to mention this for future researchers!

The only thing I do remember being told by the person who gave me my CDS was that my husband would have to be present for the renewal appointment. She said that after that (if I had to return) he could sign a form for me to bring in his absence.

In any case, I took the online appointment and it is a week after I had planned to be in the UK, so I am thinking that now I may have to go and attempt for an extension/temporary card, otherwise I will be travelling with an expired CDS...:eek:

Thanks once again for your support. Especially when I was a newcomer I don't know what I would've done without this forum!:yo:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I went deeper into my online research and have gathered that in order to get an appointment on time (which they say should be 2 months prior to expiry) you should inquire FOUR months in advance! Yet if you try to book too early, you will not be able to get an appointment. I did not know any of this, so just wanted to mention this for future researchers!
In my experience, the online appointment system always offers dates very far in the future, but when I've called they have been able to give me appointments much sooner. The trick is finding the right phone number to call...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.