Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I want to start writing my CDR for engineers Australia for immigration purposes, however,I am a mechanical engineer, working as a project engineer.

The problem is that there is no Project engineer in the SOL list.

What do you advice?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think your job title doesnt matter. As long as your job description involves a mechanical engineer's qualifications and duties, it is fine. My husband is a mechanical engineer, his job titles were "workshop deputy manager, workshop manager and now shift engineer". We couldnt decide which one to choose 'plant or production' or mechanical, as the EA explanation for both were very similar. And to be on the safe side we applied as Mec.eng.

In your cdrs you will explain how you carry out engineering duties in detail and EA will decide accordingly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello All,

I want to start writing my CDR for engineers Australia for immigration purposes, however,I am a mechanical engineer, working as a project engineer.

What do you advice?
First you'll need to read Migration Skill Assessment booklet thoroughly. When you finish, read it again three more times :)

Your nominated occupation (occupation which you're applying for) is not determined by your job title or your work experience, but only by your diploma (title and duration of the course)

I'm also Mechanical Engineer in my country, hence I've applied for Mechanical Engineer. I was not recognized as Mechanical Engineer, but as Engineering Technologist. The reason why is because my university course was a three-year course instead of a four-year course, which is the main condition in order for one to be recognized as a Professional Engineer.

Your diploma and duration of your education will determine your nominated occupation

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Your nominated occupation (occupation which you're applying for) is not determined by your job title or your work experience, but only by your diploma (title and duration of the course)
I think this needs clarification. Duration of your course will determine whether you can get assessed as a professional engineer, engineering technologist or an engineering associate.

When determining what your nominated occupation is, duration of your course, course title, job title and work experience all are considered.

Reactions: masimshehzad

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think this needs clarification. Duration of your course will determine whether you can get assessed as a professional engineer, engineering technologist or an engineering associate.

When determining what your nominated occupation is, duration of your course, course title, job title and work experience all are considered.
Not quite true.

Job title and experience are very important, but only qualifications and course duration will determine whether you'll be recognized as PE, ET or EA.

I asked my assessing officer why I was not recognized as a Mechanical Engineer (Professional Engineer category) since I have a Mechanical Engineering diploma and have been working as a Mechanical Design Engineer. He replied:

"You completed a 3 year bachelor of engineering, this qualification is not comparable to a 4 year bachelor of engineering offered by Australian's universities. You will only get a professional engineer outcome if you successfully complete a postgraduate studies ( Master of engineering). You can only add value to your core engineering underpinning knowledge via, robust continuing professional development ie postgraduate studies. Years of experience will only make you experienced engineering technologist not professional engineer."

·
Registered
748 Posts
Not quite true.

Job title and experience are very important, but only qualifications and course duration will determine whether you'll be recognized as PE, ET or EA.
This is what I said too mate.

Duration of course will determine whether you are a PE,ET or EA.

Course duration, course title, AND job title and experience will determine what your occupation code is. For an example assume that you did a 4 years bachelors degree in Electronics Engineering and then worked as a Telecommunications Engineer for four years with the job title telecommunications engineer. Then you can nominate the occupation "Telecommunications Engineer".

Reactions: masimshehzad

·
Registered
75 Posts
We're discussing about two different things, and we're both right.

You are talking about the importance of the whole CDR (formal education, job title and experience) when seeking recognition within a closely related engineering field

I'm saying that neither job position nor experience can substitute a degree and course duration

I wanted to stress that even if you do have a job, experience and a perfect CDR, it is mandatory that you have an appropriate education and equivalent course duration

·
Registered
748 Posts
We're discussing about two different things, and we're both right.

You are talking about the importance of the whole CDR (formal education, job title and experience) when seeking recognition within a closely related engineering field

I'm saying that neither job position nor experience can substitute a degree and course duration

I wanted to stress that even if you do have a job, experience and a perfect CDR, it is mandatory that you have an appropriate education and equivalent course duration
Yeah that's true. If you want to get assessed by EA, having an appropriate education is mandatory.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow!!
Thanks a lot for all the helpful tips!
However, I am really stuck with the CDR. I have no idea how to start and i am really demotivated.
What tips will you be able to offer for me? Should I hire a professional writer or do it myself?

The only thing stopping my application right now is the CDR, and unfortunately I am stuck.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Wow!!
Thanks a lot for all the helpful tips!
However, I am really stuck with the CDR. I have no idea how to start and i am really demotivated.
What tips will you be able to offer for me? Should I hire a professional writer or do it myself?

The only thing stopping my application right now is the CDR, and unfortunately I am stuck.
There's no need to hire a professional. Just select three projects from your carrier and start writing. Did you go through the migration skills assessment booklet? Details about what they expect from a CDR is given there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
facing problem to write Career Episode

Hello
i am satyendra. i have total 5.5 yrs of exp.
Company 1= 2008 to 2009
Company 2 = 2009 to 2010
Company 3 = 2010 to till date
in my current company i have got to projects for engineering works.

based on aforsaid i have written 3 career episodes which include last two projects in my current company as career episode 1 and 2 and in career episode3 i have mnetioned details of my company2.

since in CDR only 3 career epsides required then can i show my frist company details?

i need your valuable guidance, so that i can finalize my CE.

Regards
Satyendra

First you'll need to read Migration Skill Assessment booklet thoroughly. When you finish, read it again three more times :)

I'm also Mechanical Engineer in my country, hence I've applied for Mechanical Engineer. I was not recognized as Mechanical Engineer, but as Engineering Technologist. The reason why is because my university course was a three-year course instead of a four-year course, which is the main condition in order for one to be recognized as a Professional Engineer.

Your diploma and duration of your education will determine your nominated occupation

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Satyendra,

I'm afraid that I didn't understand you. You wrote three episodes based on your experience from two last job positions. What do you mean by "show first company details"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re:facing problem to write Career Episode

Hi,
thanks for the prompt reply.
Actually my confusion is, if i mentioned my three career episodes projectwise which is from my current and last companies, then how will i show my first company experience in Career episodes.

Will Engineers Australia consider my 3 career episodes as my total experience (in which i haven't mentioned my first company work), if yes than it is lesser than 5 years.

in this case i won't get points for 5yrs experience, i.e. 10
because as per eligibilty criteria minimum points required is 60points and in above case i will have 55points only that means i can not apply.

hope you get my point.
looking forward for your valuable reply.

thanks and regards
Satyendra

Hi Satyendra,

I'm afraid that I didn't understand you. You wrote three episodes based on your experience from two last job positions. What do you mean by "show first company details"?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,
thanks for the prompt reply.
Actually my confusion is, if i mentioned my three career episodes projectwise which is from my current and last companies, then how will i show my first company experience in Career episodes.

Will Engineers Australia consider my 3 career episodes as my total experience (in which i haven't mentioned my first company work), if yes than it is lesser than 5 years....
You don't need to cover all job positions in order for EA to recognize full duration of your professional experience. Think logically: If someone had 4,5 or 6 employers then (according to you) he would be recognized only for number of years spent in three companies (if each episode would cover one job position)

You don't need to SHOW experience from your first employer. You only need to PROVE ti. That is why they are asking for certificate of employment.

When I was doing my first CDR I had worked for three employers up until then:

1st job - 0,6 yrs
2nd job - 1,5 yrs
3rd job - 4,5 yrs

All three episodes were based only on my latter (third) job position. And I was recognized for 6 years of experience (1,5 for my second job and 4,5 for the third one).
I was not recognized for 0,6 yrs from my first job position because I did not provide certificate of employment for that position

So you see that the crucial thing for recognision of yrs of experience is certificate of employment, not career episodes

Of course, job position MUST be closely related to your nominated occupation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi ,

I am Mechanical Engineering graduate (4yrs degree from India) but I am working as Manufacturing quality Engineer(more than 8 yrs)

For my case, where should I land for occupation for CDR?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am a Mechanical Engineer with 4 years of work experience. I worked with an engineering consulting company and all the work I have done is guarded by intelectual propery and hence I dont have much information with me on the projects. Its been over 3 years since I left the company for my MBA.So with the limited information I have in my head, I am not able to write convincing career episodes.

My Question is can I write all CDRs from my academic projects which I have a complete record. Will EA have any objection for not mentioning any Career Episode from my work experience? Please advice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello All,

What do you advice?

It may be helpful if you use the official website "anzscosearch.com" and search for job no. 233512 "mech. eng." and if you find yourself eligible to apply for this position, why don't you try it . be ware that mech. engineers are also flagged; means that it may become out of SOL anytime. so you need to make regular check for this job

good luck

1 - 20 of 34 Posts