Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving from California to Ciudad Guzman and would like all the info I can get about it. Will be taking a trip down a few months before we move but would like to learn about it now. Will be moving with my husband and 16 year old son. We are all only beginning to learn the language. We are pretty self sufficient people as far as Americans go. We prefer rural areas and would like to live out of "town" but would like to hear your thoughts on the safety of the area. We are not the panicky type but don't want to be stupid either. We don't have a lot of money, but would prefer to have a little elbow room at least a large lot so I can have a few animals. I can "drive" around in google street view, which is really cool but I can't find many web pages with information about Guzman.
Thanks for your help!
Michelle

·
Registered
416 Posts
Moving from California to Ciudad Guzman and would like all the info I can get about it. Will be taking a trip down a few months before we move but would like to learn about it now. Will be moving with my husband and 16 year old son. We are all only beginning to learn the language. We are pretty self sufficient people as far as Americans go. We prefer rural areas and would like to live out of "town" but would like to hear your thoughts on the safety of the area. We are not the panicky type but don't want to be stupid either. We don't have a lot of money, but would prefer to have a little elbow room at least a large lot so I can have a few animals. I can "drive" around in google street view, which is really cool but I can't find many web pages with information about Guzman.
Thanks for your help!
Michelle
Are you talking about Guzman, Chihuahua, due southwest from Ciudad Juarez? That's the only one I see in Google Maps using the search term "Guzman, Mexico" or "Ciudad Guzman".

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I assumed the one in Jalisco but maybe I shouldn't have?

We stopped for a few hours on the way to somewhere else. Big, clean city ... at least in Centro. A few classic old buildings around the plaza but not a lot. Looks very working class. The distribution hub for all the farming in the area. It can look pretty bleak after 5-6 months with no rain. Lots of smaller towns nearby

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Sparks! Farming is good and bleak after 6 months of no rain sounds like where I live now so I can handle that!! Anyone know what the people are like? Expenses? Crime? I understand it has several universities.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have been asked to help out a small group of English speaking Bible students there. I'm sure they will help us to get settled in.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
We have been asked to help out a small group of English speaking Bible students there. I'm sure they will help us to get settled in.
I'm sure they will. Have you visited your nearest Mexican Consulate to get information about obtaining legal residency for your stay in Mexico?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-No, not yet but it's on my list. Hope we qualify rules look quite confusing and neither of us has had a visa before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see you are moving (or want to) to Guzman from California. When? You mention being invited to help a group of Bible Students. Are you a Witness? If so please reply. If not ignore this post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have our airfare arrangements to fly to Guad. Arriving on the 26th of Nov. from NC. We will likely stop and visit Chapala first then hustle down to Cd Guzman. We are excited about the opportunity. If anyone has been their it would be good to hear from them. I did read a blog that has been informative re: Guzman. We also have been in touch with folks from there. Any other info would be good.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Originally Posted by vantexan
Young American who really loves the place. In the comments there are numerous former residents now in the States who talk about how much they miss it.

That should give you a clue...Everyone loves it and misses it..noticed they do not live there any longer.

It is a shopping town for all the farm towns around . People from Sayula and other small towns around go there to shop.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I read the 7 reasons to live there. I particularly like the location bit, you make a circle around the location you want to promote and declare yourself in the center of the interesting area,,,unfortunately all the interesting places are one to 3 hours from where you live,,so why not live in one of the "ineresting places"

We went through there and did not see a reason to stop..maybe we were unfair to the place but we rather be in Sayula or Colima as shopping in general is not why we go and visit places.If you want to move to a town in the country why not that one but do not expect people to jump and down with excitement when you mention it.
If you want a farm in the country and be close to amenities then I guess you will be happy there.
It sounds like it is a place where missionaries go so hopefully you will have people around who speaks English otherwise it will be awfully lonely if you do not speak the language.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally Posted by vantexan
Young American who really loves the place. In the comments there are numerous former residents now in the States who talk about how much they miss it.

That should give you a clue...Everyone loves it and misses it..noticed they do not live there any longer.

It is a shopping town for all the farm towns around . People from Sayula and other small towns around go there to shop.
The people who love it and miss it are Mexicans living in the States. Or who's grandfather, etc was from there and they're curious about it. It's just an American's blog about living there that they ran across and posted comments to it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.