Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Are there any CCNP certified or Checkpoint certified network/network security engineers who can throw some light on the job market in australia ?

I am a network security engineer with CCNP and CCSE along with 7 years of experience, do i have good chances of getting a job?
this question is now stealing my peace of mind so any help on it would be appreciable :).

I am planning to move to Sydney in March next year.

·
Registered
110 Posts
263111 Job code (Computer Network and system engineers) get lot of preference in visa so this also means that demand is high

Reactions: Mikail_Zubair

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
263111 Job code (Computer Network and system engineers) get lot of preference in visa so this also means that demand is high
Thats a convincing point Sunil, thanks !

Do we have any expat forum members who have been through this phase of job search after VISA grant and can share their experiences ?

It would be really kind of them if they reply and help......

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thats a convincing point Sunil, thanks !

Do we have any expat forum members who have been through this phase of job search after VISA grant and can share their experiences ?

It would be really kind of them if they reply and help......

My experience so far, May 7th I am landed here, started to search jobs from May 11. Till date I have applied for 100 job openings.

My primary skill is Cisco UC / Voip & secondary is Data networking. Looks like market is good, lots of openings in our field . I am receiving calls from recruiter but problem is they are keep on asking local experience even I convinced them that I worked for Cisco global team as well as certified as CCNA, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNP, CCDP, CCVP, so we have to wait for the right opportunity.

So far two consultancy shortlisted my profile , waiting for interview call & no update from their client side.

Keep applying..........

Thanks,
Sivaraj R

·
Registered
115 Posts
you guys who work on network field and just arrived recently in AUS, please share your experience on the current market.

Thanks for everyone's input too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I landed on May 7, I was started to apply since May 11. First few weeks no calls, no response, just passed without any progress. Here, they are expecting all rounders, (Not theoretically) single person should be strong in multiple skills in knowledge wise as well as hands on experience. For example, I am from Cisco Networking Voip / UC background, but they are expecting other skills too , such as Cisco data , security etc., Minimum 2 to 3 domain. You can see few openings only ask single domain.

So far attended five interviews, my experience as below

1. 1st interview- Pure voice role – First round HR come basic screening - Unfortunately not selected for further round. They asked about their company mission, vision strategy etc., it was a behavioral interview
Example question: how you handle / troubleshoot the high priority issue? ,
How you will start the investigation?
How you will perform the CR without major outage?
Did you faced any conflicting moment ?
2. 2nd interview 3 Month contract role – Not selected because my previous experience was operations, but they are looking from Design / implementation experience. Still that position is available in seek.
3. 3rd interview - 3 Month contract role – Not selected because – They are expecting the person should strong in UC & Data & Security – Both knowledge as well as hands on. Received the feedback today from consultancy. They need all rounders. No luck again.
4. 4th interview – Had first level of telephony interview, it’s purely for Voice, it was single domain. Interview went well. But today morning I got a message that this position is on hold, no luck again.
5. 5th interview – Last week attended the interview. This is for Data network, somewhat managed and refreshed my CCNP skills and attended the interview , it went well – asked only basic questions in all areas of CCNP – ex – Subnetting, ip routing, bgp, ospf , eigrp, qos etc.,. Waiting for feedback. Lets hope for the best.

Now job market symptoms looks good, above things happened after I applied 150 - 180 position through seek, indeed, linkedin etc.,

Moral of the story – prepare in multiple domain, be patient.

Reactions: rhassan and ArchV

·
Registered
115 Posts
First of all, thanks a lot siva19 for this detailed feedback. I hope you land your job soon.

Just like you said, I've noticed that the majority of jobs on seek do require multiple skills, security most of the time come as a complementary at least. For example, most ISPs are asking strong mpls skill set + juniper + firewall (srx/asa/checkpoint). Another common requisite that I noticed too was F5 load balancer, this one is popping up everywhere these days. Since security isn't my strong suit I'd better invest some time on security certs and probably on F5 certs too.

Cheers dude, hang in there! Keep us posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts