Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please let me know if I can find these answers elsewhere.

I've had a look at some of the great information in Dolly's sticky notes - regarding renting, schools etc, but I what I wanted to know is have any new arrivals felt like they were in a catch 22 situation or were you well enough prepared?

Did you have to have a permanent address to get a bank account / and then landlords want you to have a bank account to get a permanent address? If one of you are not working does it count against you?

When you open a bank account will the bank want to see proof of residence in Australia, (eg we are holidaying in December so thought we could open an account whilst out there). I have my aunty's address I can use there initially - is it worth having something sent there so I have evidence by the time I arrive? If so what should I have sent there (Medicare? / Request for my TFN?) What documents are normally accepted as proof of address by banks? (equivalent to an organisation asking for gas, electric, water, council tax in the UK).

We are applying for the spouse visa when we return from holiday in January, but myself and children are Aussie citizens so I could get the ball rolling with things in my name. (well update previous record held from when I lived there for a year in 1997 but it's a long time ago and my husband has so many questions that I can't answer!)

Thanks
Sally

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi, most of the major banks allow immigrants to open a bank account online even before getting into the country. They make special provisions for you guys. Some of the big banks are: Westpac, Commonwealth Bank, National Australia Bank, ANZ.

You do all the filling out online in your own country, then once you get into Australia you go to the bank to show them your 100 points of ID (a passport is worth 70 points for example). Easy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both - I'm visiting in December so could I do this during my visit or do you have to be a resident when you take in the ID?

Just in relation to the other question hidden in my post, is there anything I can set up (medicare/tfn etc) with my aunty's address so I already have that when I get there? if I do these things on my trip in december I'm hoping it will mean we will hit the ground running when we move.

(because of our trip we dont want to lodge the application for partner migration until we get back - hearing stories of quick processing times and I do NOT want to risk being out of the country at the time the visa is hopefully granted!)

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
As others mentioned we set up bank accounts from the UK with our UK address (and changed the address once we had a permanent address in Oz).

You can set up Medicare as soon as you arrive - we did it in the first few days at a Medicare office and it hardly took any time at all.

Regards,
Karen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts