Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
Just got my cat his passport but he dosnt have the core vaccinations as he was going to be an indoor cat. Having given it some thoughts he may get out so was wondering if there was any specific vaccinations he should get?

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
It's worth doing even if he never goes out, as if you need to put him in a cattery for any reason, they will need it for their insurance. We had ours done recently for that reason (she is a house cat!) He will need a three-way vaccine (called "trivalente" here) and another one for rabies. Total cost was €70.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
If you are planning to travel from UK to Spain then the cat must have a rabies vac and it must be carried out within a certain time before travelling which I think is 3 weeks. I think you may also have to have blood tests shortly before travelling but I am not sure about this bit. I am sure someone will know. I have a friend who does animal rescue and regularly transports dogs and cats to UK from here so she would know but she is away at the moment.

Reactions: Megsmum

·
Registered
169 Posts
We just made the journey from the UK to here in the last 3 weeks. We have 2 dogs and a cat. If you are in Ireland all will need is the pet passport with the rabies booster within the last 4 weeks (I think). All of our animals have had a pet passport since we got them, so it was just a matter of ensuring their boosters were up to date. If you are going back to Ireland, you don't need anything at all, but if it's the UK you need to ensure worming is done. However a good Vet will be able to sort everything out.

On the drive down here, their passports were never looked at and we even offered them at the Chunnel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have to have the relevant vaccinations otherwise, if you are stopped, your cat will be taken from you. Speak to a DEFRA registered vet - they have all the most up to date information. The other person is correct in saying you also have to pass through France within a certain amount of time. We brought our animals over 13 years ago and we weren't stopped & neither was any paperwork checked, but it isn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all as I said I got his passport which meant he was tagged and rabies vaccinated. Didnt get the core vaccinations as he was supposed to be an indoor cat. But as Alcalaina has said I might need to put him in a cattery, so Ill get all the other vaccinations done.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hola,

If you are travelling from England, no one cares about jabs BUT if you travel TO England, then everything is checked and sometimes re-checked. Very general statement, but while England doesn't have rabies, everywhere else does.

However, while in "safe" England, get the jabs done so they have taken effect before travelling to "unsafe" Europe

Davexf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Probably a similar question, but we are planning on spending several weeks/ months each year in Spain. Does anyone take their cat backwards and forwards (by plane) and is it fairly straightforward? I've googled several airlines but it isn't immediately clear what the process is and whether the cat can travel in the cabin or the hold. Also, roughly what can I expect to pay?

Many thanks. ��

·
Registered
169 Posts
We drove, but did research taking the cat by plane. Iberia will allow cats in the cabin and I think the charge is 50Euros. There is a maximum number of animals in the cabin and you have to advise Iberia prior to departure. Iberia can ask for a letter stating the cat is fit to fly from your Vet. Other than that it is pretty much straightforward.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Iberia was the only carrier that allowed cats in the cabin. All other carriers would send the cats as bulk cargo. Wouldn't recommend that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Iberia was the only carrier that allowed cats in the cabin. All other carriers would send the cats as bulk cargo. Wouldn't recommend that.
This may sound silly but why would you not recommend those that put the pets in the hold? Main reason Im asking is there might be no other way

·
Registered
169 Posts
I spent my entire working life as an airline pilot. Being put in the bulk cargo hold is an extremely traumatic experience for any animal. In our case, the cat is 10 years old and an event like that would be hard to forget. In addition, while the temperature is regulated, it does very quite a bit in flight. The summer is a difficult time for pets to fly and all of those factors made it a pretty easy decision.

The cat is our daughter's cat but she has started a job after graduating from Uni and here living situation did not allow her to bring her cat. She was going to fly out but she got a "good" job right away. So, it was up to us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Phil, that's really useful info. I have to admit that I would prefer to have our cat in the cabin where I can keep an eye on him.

Coincidentally, our son is an airline pilot (his airline fly regularly to Spain but unfortunately they insist that pets travel in the hold) and he says the crew on the flight deck quite often hear the dogs barking down there!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update, handy info anyway.
Ryanair, Flybe and easyjet do not carry pets.
Monarch and Iberia are the only two Ive found so far.

So the journey for me would be from Edinburgh to LGW then on to Alicante
Or Edi to Madrid then train/car onwards
Its not proving easy :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
We drove, but did research taking the cat by plane. Iberia will allow cats in the cabin and I think the charge is 50Euros. There is a maximum number of animals in the cabin and you have to advise Iberia prior to departure. Iberia can ask for a letter stating the cat is fit to fly from your Vet. Other than that it is pretty much straightforward.
Hi, Do you know if this applies to Dogs also.... Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts