Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'll be moving to France late this year and I'll be brining my two dogs.

I think they might be classed as Catagory 2 but I'm not sure.

All the info I can find says 'Rottweiler and any dog of the type known as the Rottweiler'.

It's the 'type known as rottweiler' that I'm not sure of. They are not pure rotties and they're certainly not muscley, beefy agressive dogs but they have rottweiler colours and markings.

I'm hoping that a French vet will confirm that they have none of the characteristics of a category 2 guard dog and that will be that.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Or advice on the best way to go about things?

Thanks

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
AFAIK from speaking to French people here, any Rottweiler is classified as Category 2. Someone else here may be able to clarify further.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I found this old post on another site:

Beau Gus 16/09/2010, 18:42
Congratulations on adopting a Rottweiler. I cannot see that you would have any problem with her on holiday in France. She is vaccinated, micro chipped, insured and has a passport. Those of us who live here and own a Rottie need a permit. To get one, in addition to vaccinations, micro chip, insurance and passport, we have to have a vet’s behavioural assessment of the dog and we owners have to attend a course on responsible dog ownership (the one I went on was a hoot until I had to pay the €100 fee!). The requirement that she is kept muzzled and on a lead in public places

Suffice is to add that 'that will be that' doesn't appear in any French dictionary.

Perhaps your local Mairie would be the first Port of Call for advice.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
BTW, I forgot to mention that, from what you say, your dogs would be deemed Rottweiler type if they look like a Rottweiler (this is generally assessed in most western countries in terms of the head, although body type can be taken into account where the head is not necessarily to type, the head is usually the primary consideration - colour and markings and less significant).

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
What does the chip and dog passport say? That might be important. As your UK vet to put the breed in the passport if necessary. Also try visiting a vet in France and ask them - I've always found them very helpful.

DejW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks, first stop will be the mairie and French vet.

Just about to sort their passports out and I think 'mixed breed' is what it will say, though now I think of it, their chip might say Rottweiler/German Shepherd....

RE their heads, the largest has a great dane looking head (no idea why, not aware of it in her history!) and the smaller one has a small dainty, quite pointy head!

"Suffice is to add that 'that will be that' doesn't appear in any French dictionary."

Ha! Very true! Although I meant more like, if they are declared not Rottweilers then I will have to take no further action :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
No help, just an observation:
There are quite a few beauceron near me (in fact I have a beauceron/hovawart mix) and they are a well respected breed here. However, I think that they look like a rottweiler/shepherd mix!

Good luck!
Gypsycob x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thoughts exactly Gypsycob! Meant to say in my original post that they could very easily be beauceron mix not rottweiler.

I'll post a pic as soon as I'm not such a new member.

I wonder, if I could change the chip info to 'mixed breed' and make sure the passport says 'mixed breed' would it be less hassle once we move or more?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Just a note to say I've found beaucerons to be lovely dogs. I had a friend who had 2 for guard reasons. Once they knew me they were really loving - in fact too loving. When I visited they playfully knocked me to the ground and licked me all over and insisted on 5 mins of rough play before I got to the front door.

DejW

·
Registered
526 Posts
I never leave the big dog out when guests are due because he is "too loving"! He is used to new people most days, but he loves them all instantly and wants to throw his arms around their necks!! When I manage the introduction, his excitement levels drop after around a minute and he can say "hello" gently (its taken him 3 years to be able to master his exuberant love of people!).

As with any breed, one cannot assume breed-type, it is largely reliant on their human experience; the full brother of my dog was destroyed due to extreme aggression.

Bexjohn, if I were you I would contact the company that stores the microchip details and explain the situation, they may allow an edit.

I had a second chip put in one rescue dog; for customs, you need to remember where it is, as it is you who scans them before the crossing (and only when entering the UK).

Or, you could leave it as it is; accept that this is France and use it to begin your initiation into the hoop-jumping, administration-led experience that living here is!!

Gypsycob x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Gypsycob. I think I'll try and get the chip details changed and then hope for a sympathetic vet in France.

It's not the hoop jumping that I'm worried about, I am of course expoecting a lifetime of it once I move! :)
It's the muzzling in public which would break my heart, as they'd hate it and it automatically makes them look like dangerous dogs when they really aren't.
Also the fear that if I forget to renew a piece of paperwork they could be taken away and destroyed! :(

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's the muzzling in public which would break my heart, as they'd hate it and it automatically makes them look like dangerous dogs when they really aren't.
Be prepared for people to be fearful of them anyway; there is a general fear of black dogs! The rescue centers longest residents are usually the black dogs.

There is also a need to "name that breed", so be prepared!

Let us know which route you take and how you get on, thanks.

Gypsycob x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts