Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of us would probably have a Plan B in mind, if in case we dont end up with a job in our preferred area. In this regard I was curious as to peoples' experiences in casual jobs (anything which the person took up while on the hunt for a better job so to say) or other Plan Bs. Was curious about:

1. What kind of job you did?
2. Was it enough money to sustain yourself/ family?
3. Did you really hate/ dislike it? If so why?

Am just a frog in the well :peep: trying to peep here, since I am not on the ground in Australia (though I have been there before I havent worked there) so any inputs would be helpful.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Casual jobs are amazing. I personally did work many casual contract jobs and experiencies what you get this way is very valuable,,,more valuable even for you than just wait at home for some particular job.

One funny experiment,, when i started do contracts/casual jobs one rec. agency told me do not mess with jobs is nto good etc,, be serious etc can negatively effect employers cariers etc.....but as i see now,,,after doing interviews more and more employer value me based on gain mix knowledge....actuallly mix job helping me to get another job faster.......and some jobs even rec. agency asked me how did i get them....funny story

·
Registered
556 Posts
are those casual jobs you had in Australia?

Casual jobs are amazing. I personally did work many casual contract jobs and experiencies what you get this way is very valuable,,,more valuable even for you than just wait at home for some particular job.

One funny experiment,, when i started do contracts/casual jobs one rec. agency told me do not mess with jobs is nto good etc,, be serious etc can negatively effect employers cariers etc.....but as i see now,,,after doing interviews more and more employer value me based on gain mix knowledge....actuallly mix job helping me to get another job faster.......and some jobs even rec. agency asked me how did i get them....funny story

·
Registered
248 Posts
All of us would probably have a Plan B in mind, if in case we dont end up with a job in our preferred area. In this regard I was curious as to peoples' experiences in casual jobs (anything which the person took up while on the hunt for a better job so to say) or other Plan Bs. Was curious about:

1. What kind of job you did?
2. Was it enough money to sustain yourself/ family?
3. Did you really hate/ dislike it? If so why?

Am just a frog in the well :peep: trying to peep here, since I am not on the ground in Australia (though I have been there before I havent worked there) so any inputs would be helpful.
My plan B :-D. Really interested to know people's experiences with this.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Even so-called "casual jobs" are hard to come by because you're competing with working holiday makers and recent uni grads who can't find work either. I know a few people who have temped at offices here and there whilst looking for a full-time job; others have gotten one-year contract roles, which is better than nothing.

In addition, minimum wage might seem high but in the context of Australian cost of living, it's actually quite low. At roughly $16/hour (minimum wage) you're looking at a net income of just over $30,000 per annum (assuming a 40 hour work week). I'd say that would be pretty rough going for even one person to live on let alone a family. For a couple earning this much (assuming one breadwinner and the other partner stays at home), this would be well below the poverty line. And if you're only working part-time, forget it. That won't be enough to pay for the roof over your head let alone your food, expenses, etc.

My advice to you is this: don't even think about moving here unless you have enough money to support yourself and your family for at least 3 but realistically 6 months without working. If you think you can move here and take on a low-paying job here or there to make ends meet while you find something in your field, you're in for a long and difficult road.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even so-called "casual jobs" are hard to come by because you're competing with working holiday makers and recent uni grads who can't find work either. I know a few people who have temped at offices here and there whilst looking for a full-time job; others have gotten one-year contract roles, which is better than nothing.

In addition, minimum wage might seem high but in the context of Australian cost of living, it's actually quite low. At roughly $16/hour (minimum wage) you're looking at a net income of just over $30,000 per annum (assuming a 40 hour work week). I'd say that would be pretty rough going for even one person to live on let alone a family. For a couple earning this much (assuming one breadwinner and the other partner stays at home), this would be well below the poverty line. And if you're only working part-time, forget it. That won't be enough to pay for the roof over your head let alone your food, expenses, etc.

My advice to you is this: don't even think about moving here unless you have enough money to support yourself and your family for at least 3 but realistically 6 months without working. If you think you can move here and take on a low-paying job here or there to make ends meet while you find something in your field, you're in for a long and difficult road.
Thanks for sharing your advice and experiences everyone .... I have a brother who has been an AU citizen for a few years and living there so hopefully wont have to worry much about expenses for a few months ... I am just trying to ascertain a worst case scenario and looking at casual jobs as a means to get started and get a feel of working in Australia rather than sitting at home and waiting for the BIG BREAK .... yeah 30000 a year sounds too low, just wondering how the people on casual jobs are surviving :confused:

·
Registered
691 Posts
yep, in Australia i did many casual jobs...actual that was start for point to build my CV.

See, i got a friends who laid enough about their home country experiencies and got jobs its up to you,,, you take longer path or short. I personally build my profile, really worked in field and build this way profile but there are 2 ways.

Lies sure can help you get job, but if they keep you is not in your hands as time will show true of your knowledge, unless you pretty lucky and smart and pick and cover lot of things.

To the point of casual jobs they are your survival to come and work and live here,,,for future overal if you work contract jobs in 9 months you earn same income as full time worker working 12 months...so is up to you. I choosed for contract jobs as for this reason,, you can make same money and even go home to your country on holiday and you on same level as sb at that time sitting at job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yep, in Australia i did many casual jobs...actual that was start for point to build my CV.

See, i got a friends who laid enough about their home country experiencies and got jobs its up to you,,, you take longer path or short. I personally build my profile, really worked in field and build this way profile but there are 2 ways.

Lies sure can help you get job, but if they keep you is not in your hands as time will show true of your knowledge, unless you pretty lucky and smart and pick and cover lot of things.

To the point of casual jobs they are your survival to come and work and live here,,,for future overal if you work contract jobs in 9 months you earn same income as full time worker working 12 months...so is up to you. I choosed for contract jobs as for this reason,, you can make same money and even go home to your country on holiday and you on same level as sb at that time sitting at job.
Dear Ivetka

Thanks for valuable comments on casual jobs.

How we can find casual job? means whom to contact when you don't experience in that industry.

Need more guidance from you. If possible please put more details.

Regards

AK

·
Registered
556 Posts

wow, from your timeline you were granted visa from 8/8/2013 but you were able to secure casual jobs in Australia right away :)

please guide us how to do it... i was also looking for casual jobs but received no response ever.. every time there is an ad in gumtree the hits are always above 100

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Thanks for sharing your advice and experiences everyone .... I have a brother who has been an AU citizen for a few years and living there so hopefully wont have to worry much about expenses for a few months ... I am just trying to ascertain a worst case scenario and looking at casual jobs as a means to get started and get a feel of working in Australia rather than sitting at home and waiting for the BIG BREAK .... yeah 30000 a year sounds too low, just wondering how the people on casual jobs are surviving :confused:
They're struggling. Some jobs might pay more but you're usually only guaranteed work for a few days maybe weeks (temping). I keep telling people that the job market is really difficult right now especially in low-skill jobs and in places like Sydney and Melbourne where everyone wants to be. I have Australian friends who have returned home from overseas and have had trouble getting work!

·
Registered
556 Posts
They're struggling. Some jobs might pay more but you're usually only guaranteed work for a few days maybe weeks (temping). I keep telling people that the job market is really difficult right now especially in low-skill jobs and in places like Sydney and Melbourne where everyone wants to be. I have Australian friends who have returned home from overseas and have had trouble getting work!
it scared me hearing from you that some of your friends move back home coz not finding jobs.. how many months they spent looking for jobs? do they at least had an interview and what's their skillset?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
it scared me hearing from you that some of your friends move back home coz not finding jobs.. how many months they spent looking for jobs? do they at least had an interview and what's their skillset?
No I meant that even Aussies who were living overseas and have returned to Australia have had difficulty finding work at least initially.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you know any website helpful for casual job seekers ..... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there any short term diploma course to get the casual job easily for PR Visa holder ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some excellent advice and pointers here by the other posters.
I particulary agree with having enough to support yourself for a while. And how much you need depends on your circumstances, you say you have a brother there? so you have accommodation and possibly a hand with groceries etc. you will still need transportation... buy a car? get used to driving in a different county. or bus/train costs......However the sooner you get working the better, it helps to make it easier as in applying for that dream job. Australian employees generally love to see people have an interest and -go get it attitude!......good luck with your move!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yep, is true many people do return is not just now its been long after the financial crises. When we came to australia, before financial crise dailly has been around 150 jobs add on seek just under cathegory accountants, half has been junior level or graduate...thesedays, the roles average a month is 1200 and half roles are seniors.

This must be similiar scenario with many occupations,,jobs full time shrink to part time or casual/contract ( need on demand).

People who gains experiencies in aussie, education are very struggle to compare home living aussie people who are and will be prefered for jobs. This is still better off than get PR from overseas, as here are nt very value overseas experiencies.

I think financial crises in australia is still now,,and never really desepeared, i can say. you sh get any job in your area study to move slowely up. Its fine if you have some temporary help like live with family members,, but if you really want to migrate this way is not solution....gess the best solution is to gain some 2-3 y work experiencies, than you should have good record of yourself,,,than you sh be ok to find fast work elswhere.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yep, is true many people do return is not just now its been long after the financial crises. When we came to australia, before financial crise dailly has been around 150 jobs add on seek just under cathegory accountants, half has been junior level or graduate...thesedays, the roles average a month is 1200 and half roles are seniors.

This must be similiar scenario with many occupations,,jobs full time shrink to part time or casual/contract ( need on demand).

People who gains experiencies in aussie, education are very struggle to compare home living aussie people who are and will be prefered for jobs. This is still better off than get PR from overseas, as here are nt very value overseas experiencies.

I think financial crises in australia is still now,,and never really desepeared, i can say. you sh get any job in your area study to move slowely up. Its fine if you have some temporary help like live with family members,, but if you really want to migrate this way is not solution....gess the best solution is to gain some 2-3 y work experiencies, than you should have good record of yourself,,,than you sh be ok to find fast work elswhere.

I completely agree.

People come unprepared for tough time, only because they go through some positive posts of others getting job quickly after landing. Yes there are sectors where jobs are available easily for skilled guys. But its not the case for all the guys holding skilled visa.

Do some reality check, by carefully reading job requirements on seek.com. Many jobs required local experience, that simply means if you don't have that you are not qualified for job. As there are many job seekers available in the market, employers are selecting guys with best local experience, rather than candidates having foreign company experience.

:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
691 Posts
yes agree with you,, there sh be some forum made like bad experiencies,, because peoplesh be aware of whats reality otherwise they cant faight with pressure

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some excellent advice and pointers here by the other posters.
I particulary agree with having enough to support yourself for a while. And how much you need depends on your circumstances, you say you have a brother there? so you have accommodation and possibly a hand with groceries etc. you will still need transportation... buy a car? get used to driving in a different county. or bus/train costs......However the sooner you get working the better, it helps to make it easier as in applying for that dream job. Australian employees generally love to see people have an interest and -go get it attitude!......good luck with your move!
Yes I am counting on help from him for a few months for a roof and minor expenses .... I dont plan to buy a car immediately after moving, would rather use public transport till I get used to the place/ roads.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks for sharing your experiences Ivetka.

I am not really counting on surviving on casual jobs at all; it really is my Plan B , that is if nothing else works out, I have got to do something to survive. I disagree with the fact that there are no threads about "bad experiences" in this forum, in fact I think the forum is full of such threads.... after seeing which I got to a point where I have decided to open a thread about casual jobs to see what I would have to do if things came to a head.

I am working for the last 6 years as a financial analyst (forecast reporting and currency valuations) but I get the feel that the services industry (both IT and financial services) is quite slow in Australia. Accounting being a close cousin of finance I plan to take up some book keeping courses (learn MYOB and the like) so that I can get some entry level accounting job in case I cant break the financial services market. But then since I dont have an accounting degree I dont know till what extent it is possible; but then recently a friend of mine got a book keeping job with a small business and he doesnt have an accounting degree either.

I am inquiring about casual jobs since I think if we are moving continents we should be prepared for the worst, and I dont have any hang ups about work as long as the bills are paid.

My wife is an artist and we have discussed setting up an art school in Sydney, but then I am not sure if any qualifications or certifications are needed to do so. Suffice to say I am just exploring options and am grateful to everyone who can share their valuable tips/ experiences. Thanks

1 - 20 of 91 Posts