Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently live in Finistere and are hoping to move south in March. Does anyone on here have any experience of living in or near Castelnaudary? The town looks lovely and house rental prices look reasonable. We would be very happy to receive any opinions, experiences or thoughts on the town. Many thanks.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
We're in the Pyrénées Orientales south of Castelnaudary. It's lovely looking town. The local wind, the Tramontane, can blow hard sometimes.
The wine's very good!

DejW

We currently live in Finistere and are hoping to move south in March. Does anyone on here have any experience of living in or near Castelnaudary? The town looks lovely and house rental prices look reasonable. We would be very happy to receive any opinions, experiences or thoughts on the town. Many thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wind

Many thanks for the helpful advice. I was thinking we would be in shorts all year round!!

If you don't mind my asking, what made you decide to live where you are now? Was it an easy decision?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Well, yesterday I started early wearing a warm jacket. In the afternoon I mowed the grass in shorts and no T shirt. The weather here, in the mountains, 1 hour W of Perpignan, can be very changeable. I have eaten Christmas lunch on the terrace here!, but it could be snow, or rain or the tramontane. Predictions are usually wrong.

Why did we decide to live here? It's a bit complicated.

I arrived in France in 2001 at the age of 56 after divorce. I turned the ex holiday home in Normandie into a permanent residence. I have friends who live near here (in the S) and they invited me for a few weeks each year, so I know the place a little. In 2009 I met C, a French lady. We came to see my friends here in September 2010. On the way back on the autoroute we saw the sun behind us, and the rain clouds of Normandie in front of us. C said to me "why don't we move to the S?". I said "ok". I then said that we would have to marry because of our respective families and inheritance etc etc. So I proposed marriage somewhere on the A75. Not very romantic, but it seemed the right thing to do at the time!

For the next 6 months we married, sold our 2 houses, bought a new one here, I broke an arm on the first day in the new house, etc etc.

If you think that's a lot to do in your mid 60s then you are right, but we only have one life, and we both wanted to make the best of ours together.

Hope this helps. We've never regretted the move, despite some really hard work and some health problems.

DejW

Many thanks for the helpful advice. I was thinking we would be in shorts all year round!!

If you don't mind my asking, what made you decide to live where you are now? Was it an easy decision?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a great story - you have quite cheered me up on this wet, dull Finistere morning! We are both in our mid-sixties and couldn't agree with you more about getting the best out of life whilst we can. It's exciting, isn't it? We met about 4 years ago and I've lived in various countries over the years but T. had never moved out of Devon, so he is finding France a revelation, in a good way! I hope your health problems are resolved or at least manageable. Best wishes and please say hello to the sun for me. I've forgotten what it looks llike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.