Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I know this question might have been asked so apologies for asking again, but I'm desperate. Thanks in advance for your help.

I moved to Dubai about 3 weeks ago, I have received a cheque from the company I work for to pay for the rent where I will be living. The agent asked me to cash and transfer the money to the landlord in Russia. The cheque is from Citibank. I would like to know which citibank branch cashes cheques in Dubai and which exchange can I used to send the money to Russia at a reasonable rate. Also, I don't have my Emirates ID yet but I do have my passport with the residence visa, will this suffice?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Hi All,

I know this question might have been asked so apologies for asking again, but I'm desperate. Thanks in advance for your help.

I moved to Dubai about 3 weeks ago, I have received a cheque from the company I work for to pay for the rent where I will be living. The agent asked me to cash and transfer the money to the landlord in Russia. The cheque is from Citibank. I would like to know which citibank branch cashes cheques in Dubai and which exchange can I used to send the money to Russia at a reasonable rate. Also, I don't have my Emirates ID yet but I do have my passport with the residence visa, will this suffice?

Thanks.
I would be very wary of transferring cash to a landlord in Russia ...... it’s got alarm bells ringing all over it.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I would be very wary of transferring cash to a landlord in Russia ...... it’s got alarm bells ringing all over it.
Absolutely - only transfer to a local account and in the name of the landlord registered with RERA at best.

I recall a similar case here years ago where a landlord claimed all sorted of things ( was too busy to collect the cheque, didnt have a local bank account, or was travelling and their PRO was unavailable) and sensibly the OP then went to see RERA and left the cheque with them for him to collect.

No idea if he did but the OP never came back to say the landlord did anything bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts