Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sent a e-note from my PT bank which I think says that there is now a limit of 3000 euro payment in cash and it's retrospective so covers anything already bought but awaiting invoice payment. Can anyone clarify this further?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. A bit confusing though as (edited for clarity)

General Tax Law and prohibits "paying or receiving cash in transactions of any amount over €3,000."

The draft law provides for some exceptions as foreigners are able to make payments of up to €10,000 in cash

How can that work as the "foreigner" may pay 10,000 cash but the non-foreigner can only receive a max of 3,000 cash.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts

General Tax Law and prohibits "paying or receiving cash in transactions of any amount over €3,000."

The draft law provides for some exceptions as foreigners are able to make payments of up to €10,000 in cash

How can that work as the "foreigner" may pay 10,000 cash but the non-foreigner can only receive a max of 3,000 cash.
In Spain the limit is 2,000€ soon to go down to 1,000€ It is all about money laundering. Non-resident are allowed a bit more leeway because they may be purchasing property.

·
Registered
37 Posts

..............................................................................................................
my experience was being asked to bring €12,000 in cash (as you do, everyday) to a promissory contract signing, attended by the vendor, his agent & MY lawyer of the time.......
They were genuinely confused when I walked away.
Long overdue change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts