1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Long time listener, first time caller.
We're hoping to move to Oz in the next 12 months
My missus is convinced that withdrawing cash in Aussie dollars is a better bet, than watching it go down the euro toilet.
It will have to be returned to a bank account anyway for electronic transfer, is this right, or can you enter the country with $20k down your pants?
(I dont have very big pants)
Thanks,
Harry..

G

·
You can bring in the cash but will have to declare it to customs and prove where it came from,easier way is just to do a bank transfare

·
Registered
346 Posts
It doesn’t matter which way you bring it, both ways are not taxed. However if you bring in cash an amount over AUD10K you’ll have to declare it at customs (Anti money laundering legislation), and you’ll have to explain that you are not a mafia head or some drug dealer. If you are an immigrant the explanation is usually easy, just show any proof of sale of house/or furniture/ or just explain how you got it (saving?). They are usually understanding, and the customs officer are pretty good at picking dodgy people from legitimate.
I would personally prefer to transfer it rather than carrying it down my pants. You never know what might happen in plane toilets!
:D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi All,
Long time listener, first time caller.
We're hoping to move to Oz in the next 12 months
My missus is convinced that withdrawing cash in Aussie dollars is a better bet, than watching it go down the euro toilet.
It will have to be returned to a bank account anyway for electronic transfer, is this right, or can you enter the country with $20k down your pants?
(I dont have very big pants)
Thanks,
Harry..
I would prefer account transfer anytime.

I love sleeping :) and I don't want to spoil it while in the airplane as I would definitely stress myself out if I am carrying that much cash.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Shakes,

Where are going from in Ireland. We are from Dublin heading to Sydney at end Aug. Myself my wife and 6 year old daughter , v excited. Would love to share experiences, cheers , Karl

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Karl

You're well ahead of us, we're still waiting for Vetasses, should be soon tho. We are 2 and 2 kids age 3 and 1. Heading for WA. so it seems, looking like around 12 months time we'll be gone, unless something else comes up. Any tips for novices like us? How did you do the money thing? Did it get sucked out an airplane toilet, blown all over India? Looks like we'll have about $20k with us, lookin for a PR visa. Lookin everyday now for jobs beyont, would much prefer to hit the ground runnin'.
O yeah, we're in Sligo
I'm in college in Sligo at the moment (online) with a Karl from Dublin, that you by any chance?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Karl

You're well ahead of us, we're still waiting for Vetasses, should be soon tho. We are 2 and 2 kids age 3 and 1. Heading for WA. so it seems, looking like around 12 months time we'll be gone, unless something else comes up. Any tips for novices like us? How did you do the money thing? Did it get sucked out an airplane toilet, blown all over India? Looks like we'll have about $20k with us, lookin for a PR visa. Lookin everyday now for jobs beyont, would much prefer to hit the ground runnin'.
O yeah, we're in Sligo
I'm in college in Sligo at the moment (online) with a Karl from Dublin, that you by any chance?
hI

Dont worry the time will pass fast, I got sponsored by NSW, i am a financial adviser so we need to go to NSW for at least 2 years but we have PR. We used a migration agent, cost about €2.500 but felt it was worth it as she was great and she got me sponsored when i was going to apply as independent. When you are sponsored they priortise the applicaiton (they used to anyway).

I have budgeted for 5 months to get up and running with a job, so hoping to have about $30k for that, but that includes cheap car, property bond, temporaty accommodation etc. We are organising a removals company take our stuff , they are coming in about 2 months as they take 8-12 weeks.

The ideal is to have a job before you get there but realistically i think it would be rarely possible as most employers/agencies will not give you much time without even seeing you. I did send a few cvs but most dont reply and a few said call them when we arrive.

You can get cheaper flights from International Organisation for Migration and extra luggage allowance

let me know if you need any info

cheers

Karl

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Karl,

We got quotes of €2k to €2.5k for shipping, is this a reasonable figure? How soon before you leave are you packing up? It can take up to 14 weeks to get there so we have to decide if we spend that time with no furniture, here, or there, or try and split it 50/50.

Cheers,
Harry/

·
Registered
353 Posts
hI

Dont worry the time will pass fast, I got sponsored by NSW, i am a financial adviser so we need to go to NSW for at least 2 years but we have PR. We used a migration agent, cost about €2.500 but felt it was worth it as she was great and she got me sponsored when i was going to apply as independent. When you are sponsored they priortise the applicaiton (they used to anyway).

I have budgeted for 5 months to get up and running with a job, so hoping to have about $30k for that, but that includes cheap car, property bond, temporaty accommodation etc. We are organising a removals company take our stuff , they are coming in about 2 months as they take 8-12 weeks.

The ideal is to have a job before you get there but realistically i think it would be rarely possible as most employers/agencies will not give you much time without even seeing you. I did send a few cvs but most dont reply and a few said call them when we arrive.

You can get cheaper flights from International Organisation for Migration and extra luggage allowance

let me know if you need any info

cheers

Karl
Contacting IOM is actually a waste of time. The quote I got from them was actually more than what was being charged on the airline's website and a local travel agent.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi,
Just a small point (perhaps!) but from an security perspective I'd open a bank account in Australia before you leave and transfer the funds using a foreign exchange service (better rates than a high street bank). I don't think I'd be able to relax during the journey carrying all that money!
Good luck with your plans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your Right,
It was another one of those silly ideas.
It was the lack of sleep that put me off, enough to do without proper sleep.
Thanks all..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good luck to you. We have 18 days till we leave England and 1 month tomorrow till we leave for Oz! Brisbane here we come. No jobs, or much financial backing but it will all be ok :)

3 yrs ago my brother went over on a temp visa with E1000 in his pocket and now he is on $200k a yr and flying! If youve the right skills/qualifications then you will do really well :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good Luck Vicky & Matt :)

We're heading to Brisbane at the end of September:)) wish it was now.

Are you shipping your stuff over? If you are what company are you using & costs?

Nikki

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good Luck Vicky & Matt :)

We're heading to Brisbane at the end of September:)) wish it was now.

Are you shipping your stuff over? If you are what company are you using & costs?

Nikki

No we are puttng our stuff into storage until such time as we have perm visas. May take a while :p

Thank you :) I cant wait too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.