Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm currently renting an apartment on month by month short term let while I look for work. I initially found the place through AirBnB and when I asked the agent (who is on the RERA site as a licensed broker - found out about RERA while searching the forum!!) about extending the lease for another month they suggested I pay cash rather than go via AirBnB again to avoid fees.

The question I have (and I have searched, but I'm still not clear) is - is paying by cash safe? As in, will it provide any kind of safety net in the way a credit card transaction can?

Possibly being a little overly cautious, but as I don't currently have an income - I need all the pennies/fils I have!!

Thanks
GW

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know about AirBnB but what protection do they give you paying via credit card? Technically B&B's don't exist here and I'm sure short term lets between private individuals fall into a very grey area completely reliant on trust anyway.

It's wise to be cautious in Dubai but if you are dealing with the owner direct and have some kind of rapport with him from the previous month, why not? Though it's worth asking if you do this, what's in it for you?

If it's all through an agent, is it some chancer that sublets properties they find on Dubizzle or is it a licensed agency with offices somewhere?

For what it's worth the last two guest houses/apartments I've booked online, I've found on Trip Advisor and then contacted the owners direct. One upgraded my room and the other gave me a free night. That said, one I paid via PayPal and the other cash, but nearing the end of my stay so still security in both circumstances.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts