Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'd like to ask your experience in applying for the carte vitale.
I arrived in France this June, went to the OFII appointment beginning of August and have sent off all the documents required for application for the carte vitale by registered post (and checked that it was received).
Now it's been just over 2 months now and I've not received any news about the result of the application. I understand there's supposed to be a paper attestation before the actual card arrives later. Just wondering how long people have waited to get these? I'm in the 92nd department to be specific.

I also understand that for people not working, they'd have to have stayed here for more than 3 months before they can apply for carte vitale. So if I had sent off my application before the 3 months, would they just wait till I've stayed for >3 months, before processing my application? Or would they even throw out my application cuz "this person hasn't even stayed here for 3 months yet so she's not eligible to apply (yet)" oh I hope not lol!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to mention I'm here on spouse longstay visa for the 1st time (my husband is French and I'm a non-EU national).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My husband had called to ask before we applied and was told that they don't receive people in the office anymore, all applications are to be sent by post... so not sure if we can physically go there to enquire..
But wow 6 months is long!

·
Administrator
50,453 Posts
Six months is not necessarily a long time in France, especially when you're dealing with the Administration. Add to that the notion that this PUMA thing just came into effect last year and it can take a while to get the procedures adjusted and whatever backlog they had to clear.

One thing you do learn living here in France is patience! <g>
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
723 Posts
You could go into CPAM and ask for a "certificat des ayant droits", I had a number of these (they expire) as I had to wait about 12 months for my carte vitale to arrive. The certificat will give you peace of mind that things are progressing, and a temporary number, as well as allowing you to choose your medecin traitant. Bear in mind the number changes very slightly once permanent and you, not CPAM, have to fill in yet another medecin traitant form and get it signed again with the permanent number.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
12 months wow..
What about the paper attestation with the temporary social security number, how long did it take you to receive this ?
Thanks...

·
Registered
358 Posts
when you applied, did you already pass 3 consecutive months since your date of arrival?
my wife's dossier was refused because at the time we applied, she had been in france almost for 8 months, however 2 months before we submitted the dossier she went out of the country for vacation and they asked us to re-submit the dossier on the 91st day of the latest stamp in the passport.

Also we went through several iterations with CPAM,2-3 months of waiting, then receiving a letter with all the documents and a refusal due to something missing and we go submit it again and wait (not necessarily for the 2-3 months, but for at least a month and so on)...
finally for my wife she got the temporary attestation by mail while for me I didn't so I went to ask and the lady at the reception just printed it to me...

then after few weeks you receive a form to fill and submit some document and photo for the carte vital.

So my advise go to the CPAM and ask about the status of your dossier (take the notification of reception with you as this will help them search) , they will tell you whether there is something missing (and you didn't get their reply) or if it is in the process or if it is still in the queue !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I sent off my application I had only stayed here for just over a month (I just came in June), so no I had not stayed for 3 consecutive months yet at the time.
Did you have to submit documents to prove that you've stayed for 3 consecutive months? I mean how do people even prove that? By showing copies of pages of the passport that they haven't left since they entered? But some people could've travelled to other countries in Europe during the 3 months and you couldn't tell by just looking at their passport..
Anyway I'm gonna find some time to go to the CPAM with my husband when he doesn't work so he can enquire about this for me (my French isn't good enough).
I'd be happy to just have the paper attestation, at least I know I'm covered cuz right now I don't have any health insurance.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Did you have to submit documents to prove that you've stayed for 3 consecutive months? I mean how do people even prove that? By showing copies of pages of the passport that they haven't left since they entered? But some people could've travelled to other countries in Europe during the 3 months and you couldn't tell by just looking at their passport..
this was one of the iterations we had.. we received the full dossier with a request to get them a copy of all passport pages including the blank ones ! and that is how they decided that we need to re-submit at the 91st day of her return to France.

·
Registered
723 Posts
BBnM , apologies for the delay in answering your question. I went and got my first certificat des ayant droits after 3 weeks. Our local CPAM receptionist would print it out for me every couple of months or so. Part of the delay then was the convoluted route our applications took i.e.sous prefecture, prefecture, regional HQ, and thence to Paris. Some papers also got lost and others were queried. I envy nobody having to go through the loop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I envy people who have already got their card sorted, for me right now it's still full of uncertainty and not sure when I'm gonna get mine haha...

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
It's worth noting that some people get their attestation within 3 months of application, their permanent ss number very shortly thereafter (and that is the key document), their carte vitale paperwork shortly thereafter, and their actual carte vitale shortly after that (if they send in the appropriate documents quickly). Experiences vary, but the key really is to have submitted all the correct documentation in the first instance.

Whilst you may not be able to visit CPAM to make the application, it's still worth going in to see what the status of your application is - if there are hiccoughs, the sooner you know and address them the better.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Oh I envy people who have already got their card sorted, for me right now it's still full of uncertainty and not sure when I'm gonna get mine haha...
dont worry, eventually it will sort out... refer to my story posted in a thread that I described my steps when coming here.
In short, I arrived on May 2015, the actual process started in January 2016 (for several reasons that I do not think CPAM has anything to do with). A form was submitted by my HR to CPAM in January with no supporting documents in January 2016, they told us that we should hear from them in 2 weeks (of course this is Sci-Fi) and I asked about what are the documents needed and resubmitted everything in February 2016, they told me 6-8 weeks of processing time.... in the 8th week I got a letter that documents are missing and they asked for the documents that I submitted... I had to go inquire myself to find out that this reply was for the January form (3 months of delay) and that the february form and documents were not yet even processed... so I submitted all the documents again except the original birth certificate, I gave them copies and told them that the originals were submitted on February xx .... they told me fine, it will take 3-4 weeks more... after 2 weeks I went to check the status as I was really worried and I was told all is in place and the dossier has startted to be hadled and it is a week's time to get my temp number.
2 weeks later nothing arrived so went to check and simply the lady at the reception printed the document to me....

worth mentioning that this was for me and the kids, my wife's dossier was initially submitted in february with ours, they replied in 2 weeks asking for her passport and other staff and were asked to resubmit in May, when we did that, it took them 5 weeks to respond to her and actually send the attestation by mail.

So in your case, either you have passed everything correctly and they just missed sending you the attestation or you are blocked at certain step and again you didn't get their reply or your dossier is still in queue...

and either way you have to go inquire about the status :)

good luck.

ah.. forgot to mention, that the form for carte vital was received 2-3 weeks after getting the attestation for my wife (4-5 weeks for me) but once submitted, it got back in less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was a really long and eventful journey for you mohsel, to get the carte vitale. I'm glad you and your family have got it all sorted it out in the end!

I read from what you wrote in another person's post - even if you haven't received the temporary social security number, you can get some papers from the Drs/pharmacists and still get reimbursed later when you've got your carte vitale ??

So even if I have nothing now no attestation paper don't even know my social security number, I can still visit the Drs/pharmacists and be reimbursed later by filling in some papers ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
yes, this worked for me ... keeping the 'feuille de soins' from doctors or pharmacists or any health provider then you can ask for reimbursement when you have your number.

let us know how things work out for you, wishing you the best of luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys just to update...
Turns out that I didn't receive the "attestation" but I've just received a letter asking for my ID photo for making the carte vitale and photocopy of passport. After I send these off I should receive my carte soon :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
good for you, this means your attestation is ready as well so anytime you drop by CPAM you can ask for it.
to create the online account, in which you can print your attestation, you will need your SS number, so if you had it on the letter for carte vitale, go ahead to www.ameli.fr where for your first login you need to request a password that you will receive by ordinary mail (when I did mine the site was not allowing this and I had to do the request through the mobile app). I think you can also get it either over the phone or personally if you drop by to get the attestation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts