Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother (dob 03/10/22) moved to France to live with me on 27/04/2017. She completed all the relevant documentation. The local CPAM (Montelimar) has refused to issue her with a SÉCU number because her birth certificate does not include the names of her parents.
She is severely disabled and is due to be admitted shortly for intensive physiotherapy but the hospital require her to be part of the French Health service and also a mutuelle which I cannot obtain without a sécu number.
Any advice would be much appreciated. With thanks.

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
You probably need to go in to speak with the local CPAM office to see what can be done. It may be a matter of "short-form" vs. "long-form" birth certificate. Or it may be more complicated - but at least go in and ask the question and ask them what needs to be done to get her enrolled. The PUMA scheme is still rather new and it's possible that your local CPAM just isn't quite up to date on the latest procedures.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Assuming your mum was born in the UK you can order a birth certificate here:
https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate#more-information
They arrive quite quickly.

CPAM do indeed seem to include your parents' names on your social security record, I guess it is part of the identification procedure for when they have a lot of people with the same name. I was quite surprised the first time I viewed my own record on the social security computer and saw that it included my parents' names and even mum's maiden name which I certainly don't remember ever being asked to provide. I can only assume they copied the details from my birth certificate.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
If she was born in 1922, is she not in receipt of an OAP and therefore eligible for the S1? Or perhaps it's getting enrolled with her S1 that's the issue? In any case, you should certainly be able to obtain her long form birth certificate via the link provided above - I certainly had no issues doing so and am actually wondering why you would have had and submitted just a short form birth certificate.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Calling them "short" and "long" birth certificates makes me smile. I happen to have my original birth certificate, all nicely hand written in copperplate, but that isn't acceptable because it is actually longer than A4 and therefore too long to fit on a normal scanner. I had to get a shorter "long" birth certificate so it can be scanned.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
As usual I will spoil a very good thread with a non relevance.

One of the late, great Spike Milligan's jokes is about birth....

Official "where were you born?"

SM "London"

Official "Which part?"

SM "Oh, all of me"

DejW

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
One of the late, great Spike Milligan's jokes is about birth....

Official "where were you born?"

SM "London"

Official "Which part?"

SM "Oh, all of me"

DejW
:D but shouldn't that be "Spike Milligna"? Or was the famous typing error not on his birth certificate? (hopefully not or he'd never have got it past CPAM)
:sorry:

·
Banned
92 Posts
My mother (dob 03/10/22) moved to France to live with me on 27/04/2017. She completed all the relevant documentation. The local CPAM (Montelimar) has refused to issue her with a SÉCU number because her birth certificate does not include the names of her parents.
She is severely disabled and is due to be admitted shortly for intensive physiotherapy but the hospital require her to be part of the French Health service and also a mutuelle which I cannot obtain without a sécu number.
Any advice would be much appreciated. With thanks.
I am in awe.. My taxes pay for this??? Has she ever worked in France?? Why is not the government of her birthplace paying for this or private insurance?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts