Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just an update on our situation. We have been working hard to get a French National Insurance number and Carte Vitale and registering our Gite business while becoming an auto-entrepreneur. Actually it all turned out to be fairly simple! Rossi is pregnant and due in december and her being Bulgarian, I was worried that things would be more complicated. I first went to the Chamber of Commerce in Toulouse and found the process of registering the Gite business quite simple and took only 30 minutes in front of a computer with a rep and all was sorted. Cost, 60 euros (documents required were EU passport and one page form issued by Chamber of Commerce. Next, off to RSI to register as auto-entrepreneur and apply for my NIN. Took all documentation from Chamber of Commerce but was told to wait a month after registering with Chamber of Commerce before getting my NI number. A month later, received it by post along with my tax return declaration form. Carte Vitale is being sent to me by post. As for Rossi, she just needed a form from her doctor issued after the 1st trimester checkup and this must be sent to RSI and she is covered under the French healthcare system immediately. She had to send copy of passport, birth-certificate (translated into French) and that was all. She is also being issued with a NI number. She can also claim back all money that we have spent to date on doctor appointments and scans, bloodtests, etc. as we retained all receipts for treatments. Very relieved that all is in place now for the birth of our Son in December.

Now....a question to anyone with experience in the Gite business. I have received my tax return document asking me to declare income for the last three months as the business is new. I heard somewhere that Gite businesses are eligible for 50% tax relief...is this correct? Also does anyone know the tax free earning allowance for this business? I was thinking about employing an accountant but would rather deal with this myself as I don´t think it is too complicated and would rather save the accountant fees for pampers!

Thanks, Ralph:)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
No - if you've registered as an auto entrepreneur, you can't offset any expenses. The figure you declare is the total amount that you have invoiced for/received during the quarter, and your deducations are calculated as a percentage of that figure. This is fair, because you will pay deductions as a flat rate of around 13 per cent or something, whereas under another regime you might deduct expenses and then pay cotisations as a rate of around 46 per cent of what is left; the rates have been calculated so that the deductions are around the same for everybody in real terms, just that it is simpler for AEs to work out without an accountant.

Note too that what you are paying is not income tax, it is cotisations. If you've opted to pay the flat rate of tax of 2 per cent or whatever, that will be included in the payment, but obviously if you're paying the flat rate then there is no tax free allowance. If you didn't opt for to pay the flat rate, you will declare your 2013 earnings on your income tax declaration next May, and get your tax bill for 2013 in November 2014. The tax free allowance will depend on how many people there are in your household.

So for your declaration trimestrielle, the only figure you need to put on it is your total income for the quarter, and your deductions are based on this.

You can also declare online, and it will calculate it all for you.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by NIN; are you talking about the number on your Carte Vitale or your SIRET for the AE?

NB: you will get a load more numbers yet ... apart from your bank account and PIN and code for Internet access, there'll be your CAF number (and access code) for the payouts due for your kiddly-wink, and your Ameli access code, and your EDF codes/phone codes/gas codes/water codes/insurance codes/fisc codes ... and probably more that don't come to mind just now.

In these days of computers, you'd think they'd be able to synchronise everything, wouldn't you? Perhaps we should all be tattooed with a barcode at birth ....

h

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again. It seems that I have opted to pay my cotisations on a month to month basis. I see on the declaration form that it says a rate of 14% for house rentals that are unfurnished but 24.60% for furnished rentals. I think I heard there was some relief if you are sacrificing your own home or the majority of it for rental? It seems a bit much to me at this rate. What do you think? Thanks

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
If that's what it says, and you're sure you have understood it correctly, that's what you have to do I'm afraid. That's the deal with auto entrepreneur, it is very simple but also completely inflexible. There were various regimes to choose from where you offset expenses etc but if you have chosen AE, you have to accept that there is no negotiation possible. The percentages have been worked out by the government to make it as fair as possible for everyone so there will be a sound rationale behind it.
However I did think that gites were at the lower rate, so hopefully a gite owner will be along soon to confirm.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Umm I think its called your mobile phone number....:whip:
Ain't got one; does that mean I can fly under the radar?

Actually not having one is a pain in the proverbial for some things; if I want, for example, to effect a virement (through gritted teeth) to a hitherto unknown party, my bank will send through an authorisation code to "my" mobile - otherwise I've got to go into my branch.

a) I don't have a mobile
b) if I had one it wouldn't work anyway 'cos there's no signal here

SFR also want to use my mobile to check my landline works properly ..... errrrmmmmm; they're responsible for making sure my landline DOES work properly, so if they can't get me on it, you'd think they'd do something .... maybe?

Will get off my Planet La-La-Land sometime soon, maybe - with the right incentive ;) (Must be these e-cigs I'm using to wean myself off real coffin-nails!)

h

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
In these days of computers, you'd think they'd be able to synchronise everything, wouldn't you? Perhaps we should all be tattooed with a barcode at birth ....

h
We almost were - given a National Insurance Number. However, when we registered with GP here they gave us a new NHS number and now we also have hospital numbers.

One of the great cons of all time was the belief that computers - when I started programming in the 60's - would give us more freedom and leisure time. Well they gave me gainful employment for 40 years and are now driving me nuts :rolleyes:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ain't got one; does that mean I can fly under the radar?

Actually not having one is a pain in the proverbial for some things; if I want, for example, to effect a virement (through gritted teeth) to a hitherto unknown party, my bank will send through an authorisation code to "my" mobile - otherwise I've got to go into my branch.

a) I don't have a mobile
b) if I had one it wouldn't work anyway 'cos there's no signal here

SFR also want to use my mobile to check my landline works properly ..... errrrmmmmm; they're responsible for making sure my landline DOES work properly, so if they can't get me on it, you'd think they'd do something .... maybe?

Will get off my Planet La-La-Land sometime soon, maybe - with the right incentive ;) (Must be these e-cigs I'm using to wean myself off real coffin-nails!)

h
i know what you mean whenever we say "Nope no mobile" you get the sympathetic "Yes, its too complicated for you" look with a snigger.

If I may digress when I started in computing a ONE MB mainframe memory was a big deal and I have sent Blackberry messages from every country in the Eurovision Song Festival. So its not that I regard mobile phones as the work of the devil its the fact I can live without having to share every purchase I make at Leclerc with the world.

I do have one I just choose not to use it... Rebel to the end

Tank

·
Registered
289 Posts
One of the great cons of all time was the belief that computers - when I started programming in the 60's - would give us more freedom and leisure time. Well they gave me gainful employment for 40 years and are now driving me nuts :rolleyes:
I remember the good days of COBOL and PL1, having to program in 8k of memory but it certainly paid the bills. Now the wife and I often indulge in the "This program was never tested" :blah:

Tank

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Well to digress some more - and let's hope Rynd2it doesn't catch up with this thread - when I started coding I was spoilt by having 8K memory (Commodore Pet) ...

However, I am totally unenticed by all the all-singing all-dancing what you can do with whatever fruit is flavour of the month size-of-a-credit-card where you need a microscope to see the screen and a digit like ET's to access the keyboard gizmo. Were I to have/want a mobile phone, I'd want it to be able to make phone calls at my behest as painlessly as humanly possible - and THAT'S ALL - & given there's no signal here, it would be a singularly useless exercise! If I want a camera, I'll buy a bleeding camera; if I want net access, I'll get a bleeding 'puter; if I want music, I'll recable my separates HiFi system ...

grumpy ol' hils
lol

PS rynd2it caught up ...... David - go chase sheep or something :D

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I remember the good days of COBOL and PL1, having to program in 8k of memory but it certainly paid the bills. Now the wife and I often indulge in the "This program was never tested" :blah:

Tank
I was still working for a COBOL compiler manufacturer in 2007 - very successful we were too. But I started on a KDF9 in Usercode - you might recall that machine as being used on the BBC election night instead of the famous "Swingometer"

Those were the days :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was still working for a COBOL compiler manufacturer in 2007 - very successful we were too. But I started on a KDF9 in Usercode - you might recall that machine as being used on the BBC election night instead of the famous "Swingometer"

Those were the days :D
I was in South Africa in those days working out how to send data in 3270 format from a diamond mine in Namibia to Johannesburg. If they started arc welding within 250 yards of the telephone wire the system crashed ( took us 2 weeks to work that one out).... as they say " happy days"

·
Registered
289 Posts
Were I to have/want a mobile phone, I'd want it to be able to make phone calls at my behest as painlessly as humanly possible - and THAT'S ALL
First mobile phone my wife has when she was in international IT recruitment was the size of a brick and mobiles were so unusual that some said -"Its very noisy where are you?" Reply "On a bus going around HydePark corner and every one is staring at me"

But totally agree with you all I want is a phone...

For the conspiracy theorists amongst us - 10 years ago would you have allowed the government to implant a device that enables you to be tracked 24 hours a day on you? Yet every ones (excluding us grumpy Old F*rts) rushes to BUY the latest cell phone :mad:

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
For the conspiracy theorists amongst us - 10 years ago would you have allowed the government to implant a device that enables you to be tracked 24 hours a day on you? Yet every ones (excluding us grumpy Old F*rts) rushes to BUY the latest cell phone :mad:
As a mother, of an itinerant 23 yr-old, I actually don't mind that, if necessary, she could be found. That doesn't extend to MY whereabouts - as if I were to be anywhere except here ... lol

However, WHY aren't they using that technology to find people who OUGHT to be found ....?

Ps I don't have GPS in my car either, so "they" can forget using that to find me as well :D
(Not the daughter of a successful spy (UK-friendly!) without learning a few things along the way .... ;))

PPS Just imagine; if kids WERE implanted with chips/barcodes at birth, they'd've found Madelaine McCann by now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.