Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit confused about the Carte Sejour and its classifications and entitlements.

Does a Titre de Sejour (Carte de Sejour Temporaire) mean that you have residence? It also says under "Motif du sejour" that it is "Visiteur".

What are the effects of the "Visiteur" classification and does it advance your chances of obtaining residence in France or is residence more of an "intent" requisite?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am a bit confused about the Carte Sejour and its classifications and entitlements.

Does a Titre de Sejour (Carte de Sejour Temporaire) mean that you have residence? It also says under "Motif du sejour" that it is "Visiteur".

What are the effects of the "Visiteur" classification and does it advance your chances of obtaining residence in France or is residence more of an "intent" requisite?

Thanks
Hello,

A carte de séjour temporaire means you are allowed to stay in France for up to one year. If you want to stay longer you need to renew the carte.

As it's a visitor's permit (aka tourist permit), you are allowed to live in France but not to take on any kind of work whatsoever. As for residence, I assume you're talking about a 'carte de résident', which is like a carte de séjour only it lasts for five years (not one) and there is no category so you can do as you like. Whether or not the fact you are a visitor counts towards getting the carte de résident, I don't know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carte Sejour Renewal

So am I at a disadvantage if I do not renew the "Visiteur" Carte de Sejour if my objective is to obtain a residence permit? Or does the renewal strengthen my position to get one. Is the "Visiteur" status a step in the direction of them issuing me a Carte Sejour residence? And do they give me a residence permit at some "renewal" point or do i have to make a special application for it?

Hello,

A carte de séjour temporaire means you are allowed to stay in France for up to one year. If you want to stay longer you need to renew the carte.

As it's a visitor's permit (aka tourist permit), you are allowed to live in France but not to take on any kind of work whatsoever. As for residence, I assume you're talking about a 'carte de résident', which is like a carte de séjour only it lasts for five years (not one) and there is no category so you can do as you like. Whether or not the fact you are a visitor counts towards getting the carte de résident, I don't know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So am I at a disadvantage if I do not renew the "Visiteur" Carte de Sejour if my objective is to obtain a residence permit? Or does the renewal strengthen my position to get one. Is the "Visiteur" status a step in the direction of them issuing me a Carte Sejour residence? And do they give me a residence permit at some "renewal" point or do i have to make a special application for it?
How long have you been in France? I believe you have to have been residing legally in France continuously for five years in order to apply for a carte de résident, if not you still need to renew your carte de séjour. Otherwise you make an application for the carte de résident instead of renewing your carte de séjour. You have to apply for the carte de résident specifically, they won't just give it to you automatically.

If you need to know more about the specifics of it I'd recommend you contact your local prefecture and ask them about when you can apply for the carte de résident.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my first Carte Sejour so I'm coming up on one year. When you say "you have to have been "residing" legally in France continuously for five years...doesn't the "visiteur" carte sejour count as "residing"? And are you saying I can apply for carte de resident now and would I have to do it in the US or go to the Prefecture or will i have to renew my carte sejour visteur for five years in order to qualify?

How long have you been in France? I believe you have to have been residing legally in France continuously for five years in order to apply for a carte de résident, if not you still need to renew your carte de séjour. Otherwise you make an application for the carte de résident instead of renewing your carte de séjour. You have to apply for the carte de résident specifically, they won't just give it to you automatically.

If you need to know more about the specifics of it I'd recommend you contact your local prefecture and ask them about when you can apply for the carte de résident.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, there is no need for me to try to register at the French Social Security system for health care with a "Visteur" Carte Sejour...right? I would need to have a residence carte sejour I think...but isn't the Carte Sejour "Visiteur" a form of "residence"?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also, there is no need for me to try to register at the French Social Security system for health care with a "Visteur" Carte Sejour...right? I would need to have a residence carte sejour I think...but isn't the Carte Sejour "Visiteur" a form of "residence"?
Ah there's a difference in French immigration law between 'residence' (résidence) and 'stay' (séjour). When you come to France, for the first five years you can only apply for the 'stay' visas. These do indeed give you the right to live in France, but with certain restrictions on activity.

'Residence' is long-term permission to stay in France without restrictions on what you do for a living. You have to have been in France on certain forms of the 'stay' visas for five years continuously.

In your case, the Visiteur carte de séjour does count towards the requirements to eventually apply for 'résidence'. But as you've only been here for one year, you do need to renew your carte de séjour every year for the next four years before you can apply for a 'carte de résident'.

As for health care, I'm pretty sure as a 'Visiteur' you won't be able to sign up for French state healthcare benefits, so you will have to take out some sort of private health insurance to cover for you while you're here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the great explanation...do you think it matters if i renew the carte sejour visiteur each year for five years in order to get my resident card that during that five-year renewals periods that i renew in a different region of France or is it required that i stay put in one area for five years to obtain my residence card?

Ah there's a difference in French immigration law between 'residence' (résidence) and 'stay' (séjour). When you come to France, for the first five years you can only apply for the 'stay' visas. These do indeed give you the right to live in France, but with certain restrictions on activity.

'Residence' is long-term permission to stay in France without restrictions on what you do for a living. You have to have been in France on certain forms of the 'stay' visas for five years continuously.

In your case, the Visiteur carte de séjour does count towards the requirements to eventually apply for 'résidence'. But as you've only been here for one year, you do need to renew your carte de séjour every year for the next four years before you can apply for a 'carte de résident'.

As for health care, I'm pretty sure as a 'Visiteur' you won't be able to sign up for French state healthcare benefits, so you will have to take out some sort of private health insurance to cover for you while you're here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks for the great explanation...do you think it matters if i renew the carte sejour visiteur each year for five years in order to get my resident card that during that five-year renewals periods that i renew in a different region of France or is it required that i stay put in one area for five years to obtain my residence card?
I highly doubt it would matter, a carte de séjour is valid for all of metropolitan France, so you have the right to move wherever you like within the country.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I have received my carte sejour visiteur in one place, if i renew in that same prefecture would there be any additional documents to supply or would they be the same ones or since they have a copy in the file would i not have to supply anything? In other words, is a renewal a very routine deal and do they give you the renewal right away or do you have a waiting period like when you obtained your first carte sejour.

Also, if i go to a different city, would they have access to my file to renewing in a different city would be routine or are they likely to have additional requirements which could jeopardize my renewal (e.g. if i moved to Paris)?

Thanks

I highly doubt it would matter, a carte de séjour is valid for all of metropolitan France, so you have the right to move wherever you like within the country.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since I have received my carte sejour visiteur in one place, if i renew in that same prefecture would there be any additional documents to supply or would they be the same ones or since they have a copy in the file would i not have to supply anything? In other words, is a renewal a very routine deal and do they give you the renewal right away or do you have a waiting period like when you obtained your first carte sejour.

Also, if i go to a different city, would they have access to my file to renewing in a different city would be routine or are they likely to have additional requirements which could jeopardize my renewal (e.g. if i moved to Paris)?

Thanks
You do have to supply a few documents to renew the carte de séjour, and you need to ask your prefecture what they are exactly (it can change from department to department). They don't give it to you right away, they give you a récipissé and you get the actual card in a couple months.

If you go to a different city they may ask for slightly different documents but it shouldn't be anything that would lead to refusing your carte de séjour.

·
Administrator
48,529 Posts

Thanks
Each prefecture runs things a little differently, so if you change prefectures you run a slight risk of not getting a renewal. And I can guarantee you that no two préfectures in France will ask for precisely the same documents on renewal. What they are looking for is confirmation that your situation is the same as when the original cds was granted. Common requests are: proof of current residence, proof of health insurance, possibly some evidence that you still have sufficient funding so as not to need a job in the local economy, etc. Chances are you won't have to produce birth certificate or any of the basic identification documents again.

There is also the little detail of the rules of a carte de séjour. If you move residence - especially from one departement to another (i.e. from one préfecture to another) - you are supposed to notify the préfecture you are moving to within some period of time after you move so that they can issue you a new card (i.e. with your correct address). It's one of those rules that is probably mostly ignored - but if you happen to hit a préfecture where they are sticklers for this kind of thing, you can run into problems if they think you're trying to pull something.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.